• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appealing a traffic conviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeMc5506

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Anybody had any experience at an appeal for traffic (Speeding) conviction in California?

I've ran across some really astounding disconnects within the local court and the CA "Rules of the Court". There is a form CR-141 available from the judicial website that tells you what you need to do. Following it, after I filed the notice of appeal and since I chose to use the electronic recording as the record of the trial proceedings, the next step is to file briefs. Or so I thought.

After 10 days of calling the court to confirm and find out when the brief is due, I was told that I had to file a "Statement on Appeal" CR 143 which was already due! But then the statement of appeal presumes that I will use that form to represent the record rather than the electronic recording!

I'm not sure whether the CR141 form is incorrect or if the local court is just making their own rules. Any inputs are appreciated.

JIMinCA

You must file a proposed statement. Even if you want to simply defer to the recorded transcript. However, that recording will have to be transcribed. Also, the proposed statement is where you state your grounds for appeal.

If the due date for the proposed statement is gone, then you are done. You likely will not get any extensions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">