• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appearing in Court for Traffic Infraction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gddess

What is the name of your state? Washington

I was in the HOV Lane going 65, noticed a cop 500 feet ahead, I pulled up beside the cop going 62. He pulled in behind me for 10 seconds, then put his emergency lights on. I attempted to pull over quickly. After being pulled over he told me that I almost caused an accident (didn't happen) and "I don't know how fast you were going, but you were going fast. I was going 65" He ended up ticketing me for an unsafe lane change and then he said "since I do not know what speed you were going, I am going to say 70+"
I had requested a court date, subpoenaed my witness, the officer and his sworn statement. My court date was pushed a whole month so the officer could attend, that is fine.
I received his sworn statement yesterday, in the mail. After reviewing the evidence. The details that the officers had stated are not accurate by far.
First, he checked on my actual ticket that he paced me and got me with SMD, on his WA State Patrol Case Report he crossed out anything having to do with a radar. On the pacing section, he didn't fill anything out. It is all fill in the blank.
He didn't fill in:
"I maintained a constant distance of approximately ___ car lengths. I paced the defendant at a speed of ___ MPH. My patrol car speedometer is checked for accuracy every 90 days by RADAR. It was last checked on ___ with R-271 RADAR Unit."
In his comments, was version of the events are completely wrong. Especially, with the unsafe lane change.
I don't want to walk into court and act like I am challenging authority or that I have no respect for the police. But I am concerned, and I am prepared for the judge to side with the cop, but that is the problem, he is not accurately dipicting the truth. This is not a matter of the money, I don't care about that, I would pay the ticket if I actually did what he stated, but I didn't do anything wrong it is now the principal.

Any ideas?

K

Kaz the Minotau

Call him and ask for an explanation of why some information is missing. Are you sure that you didn't almost cause an accident? Were you able to see all the cars around you?

G

gddess

I was able to see all the cars that were around me. The passenger in the car was also looking over to the right, to make sure that it was clear.
The police officer also stated that I suddenly slammed my brakes after he turned on his emergency lights. Which is not true, I never, ever touched my brakes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">