• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arizona camera speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I live in MA and got notification of 3 speeding tickets taken by cameras all within 10 minutes in AZ from Avis car rental. I have several questions:

1) I would like to know if I should ignore the tickets. If so, what are the possible repurcussions in terms of my MA driving record/insurance? Avis did provide my name and address but I am rarely home to be properly served. I would not be able to physically be present in court.

Your recommendation would be most appreciated. I have not had a speeding ticket in many years, so I was not prepared to get 3 in a 10-minute span.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I live in MA and got notification of 3 speeding tickets taken by cameras all within 10 minutes in AZ from Avis car rental. I have several questions:

1) I would like to know if I should ignore the tickets. If so, what are the possible repurcussions in terms of my MA driving record/insurance? Avis did provide my name and address but I am rarely home to be properly served. I would not be able to physically be present in court.

Your recommendation would be most appreciated. I have not had a speeding ticket in many years, so I was not prepared to get 3 in a 10-minute span.
If you don't pay them, Avis will pay them and collect against your CC.

Maestro64

Aren't you the lucky one, AZ just recently turned off all their speed camera in the Phoenix area. You must have been one of the last few who got the tickets. The state found that a majority of the AZ citizens refuse to pay and it was costing the state money to operate verse them making the Millions the speed camera companies said they would make, however the speed camera companies did make Millions. So much for public safety if the state can not make money at it at the same time.

But Zigner is correct, if you do not pay Avis will pay and hit your CC for the cost. Your paying either way, AZ is so nice to people who visit their state, if you look at your car rental agreement you will see you paid a huge tax for that stadium they just built as well.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

**A: had you gone any faster you would have gotten 4 tickets in 10 minutes.

swalsh411

So much for public safety if the state can not make money at it at the same time.
Can you present a single shred of credible evidence that these cameras improve safety?

And even if you're right, why is that a surprise to you? It's always been the first love of government to make money for more government. "Public safety" is just a catch phrase for politicians trying to get elected.

Maestro64

Can you present a single shred of credible evidence that these cameras improve safety?

And even if you're right, why is that a surprise to you? It's always been the first love of government to make money for more government. "Public safety" is just a catch phrase for politicians trying to get elected.
Obviously you do not know me that well, I can show you all kinds of reports where these things actually cause more problems then they claim to fix, and I am the first one to say if the government workers can not figure out a way to tax you to get your money to cover their guarantee raises each year they find a way to ticket and fine you. Obviously this did not work out for AZ.

So it was no surprise, just a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Nobody really believes that these improve safety. In fact, my opinion is that they create a potentially more hazardous situation as everybody who is speeding will see the camera, and suddenly brake to avoid getting tagged, creating a bottleneck on the freeway.

Despite that, I actually prefered these cameras. During the time those cameras were active, I NEVER saw a single squad car on the 101. I would routinely drive exactly 9mph above the limit knowing that nothing would ever come of it. Now, we're likely to see a lot more officers around (which I suppose isn't a problem for those that adhere to the law, eh?).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Just curious, were signs posted advising that one was entering an area with automated speed enforcement?

Maestro64

Just curious, were signs posted advising that one was entering an area with automated speed enforcement?
Yeah they are there, and people who are not familiar with the area and see the signs slam on their brakes, but depending on what lane you are in, since many of these camera are set up on 4 and 5 lane in each direction roads and depending on traffic conditions at the time you may not see the one warning sign or it could be blocked by a large truck.

I was on these roads recently and I was using trapster to warn where these were set up, and if it was not for trapster I would have missed a few of them due to various reasons.

Most drivers who know about them, usually slow just before getting to them just under the 10 over when they snap a picture and after they pass them speed up again. If you are in a lane with no one in front of you and traffic around you slows a bit form being 12 over to been 9 over, you may not notice this and zip past the camera and here you were just going with the flow of the traffic and got nailed.

This is part of the reason AZ is shutting them down, besides the fact they loosing money trying to keep them operating.

Last edited:

Maestro64

Well this is kind of related to this, it shows how in the end most of these systems will be taken off line specially in state which traffic tickets are still a criminal offense. This just came out of the courts last week.

Court Rejects Use of Hearsay in Red Light Camera Case

Lawyers have been winning case like this using this exact argument, however, Santa Ana decided to press the issue and got a precedent set that now allows everyone in CA to fight these tickets and win.

davew128

Well this is kind of related to this, it shows how in the end most of these systems will be taken off line specially in state which traffic tickets are still a criminal offense. This just came out of the courts last week.

Lawyers have been winning case like this using this exact argument, however, Santa Ana decided to press the issue and got a precedent set that now allows everyone in CA to fight these tickets and win.
Good news for my girlfriend. She got one of these recently and when she asked me if she should fight it, I asked what it was she holding up to her mouth in her right hand in the color photo of her. :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

It will be easy for the courts to fix the loophole that occurred in THIS case ;)

Maestro64

It will be easy for the courts to fix the loophole that occurred in THIS case ;)

Zigner, you need a civics lesson, court can not change laws or fix loophole, legislator write and make laws, court rule and interrupt laws, and in this case, the laws are pretty clear on hearsay and hearsay exceptions and this is all defined in case laws which bind all courts to these decisions if you bring them to the courts attention.

To your point the way the court will "fix" it is to ignore it unless someone walks in with this case law as ask for it to be dismissed. In reality since all courts and Judges get summaries of the cases, they should dismiss ever ticket which people choose to fight since there is no way to over come the hearsay rule unless the officer was the person running and operating the camera at the time of the incident, which you know will not happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">