+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    codder is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    arizona camera speeding ticket

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

    I live in MA and got notification of 3 speeding tickets taken by cameras all within 10 minutes in AZ from Avis car rental. I have several questions:

    1) I would like to know if I should ignore the tickets. If so, what are the possible repurcussions in terms of my MA driving record/insurance? Avis did provide my name and address but I am rarely home to be properly served. I would not be able to physically be present in court.

    Your recommendation would be most appreciated. I have not had a speeding ticket in many years, so I was not prepared to get 3 in a 10-minute span.
  2. #2
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    54,037
    Quote Originally Posted by codder View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

    I live in MA and got notification of 3 speeding tickets taken by cameras all within 10 minutes in AZ from Avis car rental. I have several questions:

    1) I would like to know if I should ignore the tickets. If so, what are the possible repurcussions in terms of my MA driving record/insurance? Avis did provide my name and address but I am rarely home to be properly served. I would not be able to physically be present in court.

    Your recommendation would be most appreciated. I have not had a speeding ticket in many years, so I was not prepared to get 3 in a 10-minute span.
    If you don't pay them, Avis will pay them and collect against your CC.
  3. #3
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Aren't you the lucky one, AZ just recently turned off all their speed camera in the Phoenix area. You must have been one of the last few who got the tickets. The state found that a majority of the AZ citizens refuse to pay and it was costing the state money to operate verse them making the Millions the speed camera companies said they would make, however the speed camera companies did make Millions. So much for public safety if the state can not make money at it at the same time.

    But Zigner is correct, if you do not pay Avis will pay and hit your CC for the cost. Your paying either way, AZ is so nice to people who visit their state, if you look at your car rental agreement you will see you paid a huge tax for that stadium they just built as well.
    Last edited by Maestro64; 07-26-2010 at 10:26 PM.
  4. #4
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Catatonic State
    Posts
    81,916
    Quote Originally Posted by codder View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

    I live in MA and got notification of 3 speeding tickets taken by cameras all within 10 minutes in AZ from Avis car rental. I have several questions:

    1) I would like to know if I should ignore the tickets. If so, what are the possible repurcussions in terms of my MA driving record/insurance? Avis did provide my name and address but I am rarely home to be properly served. I would not be able to physically be present in court.

    Your recommendation would be most appreciated. I have not had a speeding ticket in many years, so I was not prepared to get 3 in a 10-minute span.


    **A: had you gone any faster you would have gotten 4 tickets in 10 minutes.
  5. #5
    swalsh411 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
    So much for public safety if the state can not make money at it at the same time.
    Can you present a single shred of credible evidence that these cameras improve safety?

    And even if you're right, why is that a surprise to you? It's always been the first love of government to make money for more government. "Public safety" is just a catch phrase for politicians trying to get elected.
  6. #6
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by swalsh411 View Post
    Can you present a single shred of credible evidence that these cameras improve safety?

    And even if you're right, why is that a surprise to you? It's always been the first love of government to make money for more government. "Public safety" is just a catch phrase for politicians trying to get elected.
    Obviously you do not know me that well, I can show you all kinds of reports where these things actually cause more problems then they claim to fix, and I am the first one to say if the government workers can not figure out a way to tax you to get your money to cover their guarantee raises each year they find a way to ticket and fine you. Obviously this did not work out for AZ.

    So it was no surprise, just a poor attempt at sarcasm on my part.
    Last edited by Maestro64; 07-27-2010 at 02:40 PM.
  7. #7
    The Occultist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by swalsh411 View Post
    Can you present a single shred of credible evidence that these cameras improve safety?
    Nobody really believes that these improve safety. In fact, my opinion is that they create a potentially more hazardous situation as everybody who is speeding will see the camera, and suddenly brake to avoid getting tagged, creating a bottleneck on the freeway.

    Despite that, I actually prefered these cameras. During the time those cameras were active, I NEVER saw a single squad car on the 101. I would routinely drive exactly 9mph above the limit knowing that nothing would ever come of it. Now, we're likely to see a lot more officers around (which I suppose isn't a problem for those that adhere to the law, eh?).
  8. #8
    HighwayMan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Galaxy at Large
    Posts
    5,726
    Just curious, were signs posted advising that one was entering an area with automated speed enforcement?
  9. #9
    Kiawah is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,086
    were signs posted advising that one was entering an area with automated speed enforcement?
    Signs were blurred, driving too fast to read the signs.
  10. #10
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by HighwayMan View Post
    Just curious, were signs posted advising that one was entering an area with automated speed enforcement?
    Yeah they are there, and people who are not familiar with the area and see the signs slam on their brakes, but depending on what lane you are in, since many of these camera are set up on 4 and 5 lane in each direction roads and depending on traffic conditions at the time you may not see the one warning sign or it could be blocked by a large truck.

    I was on these roads recently and I was using trapster to warn where these were set up, and if it was not for trapster I would have missed a few of them due to various reasons.

    Most drivers who know about them, usually slow just before getting to them just under the 10 over when they snap a picture and after they pass them speed up again. If you are in a lane with no one in front of you and traffic around you slows a bit form being 12 over to been 9 over, you may not notice this and zip past the camera and here you were just going with the flow of the traffic and got nailed.

    This is part of the reason AZ is shutting them down, besides the fact they loosing money trying to keep them operating.
    Last edited by Maestro64; 07-27-2010 at 04:21 PM.
  11. #11
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    54,037
    Seems like it would be a lot less work and worry to drive the speed limit
  12. #12
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Well this is kind of related to this, it shows how in the end most of these systems will be taken off line specially in state which traffic tickets are still a criminal offense. This just came out of the courts last week.

    [url=http://www.metnews.com/articles/2010/khal072310.htm]Court Rejects Use of Hearsay in Red Light Camera Case[/url]

    Lawyers have been winning case like this using this exact argument, however, Santa Ana decided to press the issue and got a precedent set that now allows everyone in CA to fight these tickets and win.
  13. #13
    davew128 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
    Well this is kind of related to this, it shows how in the end most of these systems will be taken off line specially in state which traffic tickets are still a criminal offense. This just came out of the courts last week.

    [url=http://www.metnews.com/articles/2010/khal072310.htm]Court Rejects Use of Hearsay in Red Light Camera Case[/url]

    Lawyers have been winning case like this using this exact argument, however, Santa Ana decided to press the issue and got a precedent set that now allows everyone in CA to fight these tickets and win.
    Good news for my girlfriend. She got one of these recently and when she asked me if she should fight it, I asked what it was she holding up to her mouth in her right hand in the color photo of her.
  14. #14
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    54,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
    Well this is kind of related to this, it shows how in the end most of these systems will be taken off line specially in state which traffic tickets are still a criminal offense. This just came out of the courts last week.

    [url=http://www.metnews.com/articles/2010/khal072310.htm]Court Rejects Use of Hearsay in Red Light Camera Case[/url]

    Lawyers have been winning case like this using this exact argument, however, Santa Ana decided to press the issue and got a precedent set that now allows everyone in CA to fight these tickets and win.
    It will be easy for the courts to fix the loophole that occurred in THIS case
  15. #15
    Maestro64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    It will be easy for the courts to fix the loophole that occurred in THIS case

    Zigner, you need a civics lesson, court can not change laws or fix loophole, legislator write and make laws, court rule and interrupt laws, and in this case, the laws are pretty clear on hearsay and hearsay exceptions and this is all defined in case laws which bind all courts to these decisions if you bring them to the courts attention.

    To your point the way the court will "fix" it is to ignore it unless someone walks in with this case law as ask for it to be dismissed. In reality since all courts and Judges get summaries of the cases, they should dismiss ever ticket which people choose to fight since there is no way to over come the hearsay rule unless the officer was the person running and operating the camera at the time of the incident, which you know will not happen.

Similar Threads

  1. I got a speeding ticket (camera) in Arizona
    By AZ_to_NJ in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 02:22 AM
  2. Speeding ticket from automated camera
    By LStanka in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 07:37 PM
  3. AZ Camera Speeding Ticket
    By Jim6 in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 03:08 PM
  4. Will arizona serve me from camera speeding ticket in New York?
    By rockstar84 in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
  5. Camera speeding ticket
    By clula in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.