• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona speeding laws, are they unconstitutional?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Az.guy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Az.
In Arizona the cops can confiscate your licence if you're pulled over for driving more than 10 miles over the limit....
You can be charged with FELONY speeding if you are pulled over for going driving faster than 80 mph (the legal limit on most interstates is 75 mph)**************..
Whats up with these laws, is it me or does Az. have some messed up traffic laws?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What part of the Constitution do you believe gives you the right to excessive speed?

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Az.
In Arizona the cops can confiscate your licence if you're pulled over for driving more than 10 miles over the limit....
You can be charged with FELONY speeding if you are pulled over for going driving faster than 80 mph (the legal limit on most interstates is 75 mph)**************..
Whats up with these laws, is it me or does Az. have some messed up traffic laws?
You agreed to the laws.

Just wait until you get a photo radar ticket!

There is no such thing as a constitutional right to a drivers license.
You have a right to travel. So a DL is not even needed. Just my opinion ...others share it.

Commercial drivers need a DL. The federal code even states that a driver is a person engaged in commercial gain. Many states say the same thing (look at you state's definition of the word DRIVER).

Also, many think that speeding tickets are not right at all -- who have you hurt? Nobody. The possibility of injury is not enough for a civil cause of action...an injury must be incurred.

AZ is all messed up. Red light cameras, goofy speeding laws ...

(waiting for a ll the haters out there)

LillianX

You have a right to travel. So a DL is not even needed. Just my opinion ...others share it.

Commercial drivers need a DL. The federal code even states that a driver is a person engaged in commercial gain. Many states say the same thing (look at you state's definition of the word DRIVER).

Also, many think that speeding tickets are not right at all -- who have you hurt? Nobody. The possibility of injury is not enough for a civil cause of action...an injury must be incurred.

AZ is all messed up. Red light cameras, goofy speeding laws ...

(waiting for a ll the haters out there)
How is that contradictory to what I said? I said there's no such thing as a constitutional right to a drivers license. There isn't. It's not really an arguable thing.

justalayman

How is that contradictory to what I said? I said there's no such thing as a constitutional right to a drivers license. There isn't. It's not really an arguable thing.
because Bad_Advice's suggestion is that you don't need a DL to drive a car. For some reason, he believes that a right to travel about equates to being able to use a car to do it so he believes you have a Constitutional right to drive a car.

Bad_Advice;

you can travel most anywhere you want. If you want to use a car, you have to abide by the laws imposed on a person when driving a car such a driver's license.

but just for fun, I think you should go out, pull up to a cop, while you are in your car, tell the cop you don't have a drivers license and there is nothing he can do about it. I think you should try it in at least the 48 contiguous states just to see how each of the respect what you believe is the law.

Let us know when you get out of jail.

So...you're actually stating that you would rather have somebody's death on your hands before you're in any trouble as opposed to having preventative measures enforced to save that life before it's too late?
Then outlaw driving period and swimming and free speech and anything else that has some degree of risk.

Stay at home in a padded room for folks who wish 100% safety.

EX: some folks are OK with TSA patdowns & some are not & for many different reasons. So risk assessment issues will bring out many different opinions. When it come to safety v. freedom I tend to lean toward freedom .. it appears as if you tend to lean toward safety.

To each their own.

CdwJava

Then outlaw driving period and swimming and free speech and anything else that has some degree of risk.
Your hurtful words and poor swimming is not likely to harm or kill others or damage property. A reckless or speeding vehicle, or a driver that fails to follow traffic rules is a danger to all of us.

Or, would you prefer streets filled with vehicles and drivers doing as they please? Society requires rules of conduct and behavior. Without them, we have anarchy, chaos, and insecurity. In such a world there would NOT be freedom because the strong would rule and the weak and the helpless would be without recourse.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Free_Advice sounds like one of those "Sovereign Citizen" kooks that we have around here - don't know if you have them out west.

CdwJava

Free_Advice sounds like one of those "Sovereign Citizen" kooks that we have around here - don't know if you have them out west.
Oh, we got 'em ... we got 'em. Some years back a group of them thar Freemen filed liens on the properties of a Sheriff and a judge and even went so far as to hold some hokey court to issue warrants or judgement against them for something. It took a couple of years of wrangling, and some lawsuits to untie the mess they had made in the lives of several people in the central valley.

My first experience with a clearly dedicated one was in 1994 or thereabouts when I was in San Diego County. I saw a homemade metal plate indicating it was from the Republic of California but looked a lot like a CA plate. I made the stop, approached and asked for his license and registration, and he promptly opened a briefcase and tried to tell me he needed neither one and told e to read the case decisions he had in his hand.

Well, he refused to sign the citation, got put in cuffs and placed into my car, and was being a general pain until he saw the tow truck arrive at the scene. Then he decided to sign the citation adding something like, "Under Duress" or some such language (I can't recall) and thought he'd get his car back. Oops! No registration, so no car! It had been expired for about 2 years so he was going to have to hoof it to the DMV to get it taken care of. he was pissed.

Knowing what I know now, I would not have been as casual with him ... many of those guys carry guns and have no problems shooting the police.

Isis1

Oh, we got 'em ... we got 'em. Some years back a group of them thar Freemen filed liens on the properties of a Sheriff and a judge and even went so far as to hold some hokey court to issue warrants or judgement against them for something. It took a couple of years of wrangling, and some lawsuits to untie the mess they had made in the lives of several people in the central valley.

My first experience with a clearly dedicated one was in 1994 or thereabouts when I was in San Diego County. I saw a homemade metal plate indicating it was from the Republic of California but looked a lot like a CA plate. I made the stop, approached and asked for his license and registration, and he promptly opened a briefcase and tried to tell me he needed neither one and told e to read the case decisions he had in his hand.

Well, he refused to sign the citation, got put in cuffs and placed into my car, and was being a general pain until he saw the tow truck arrive at the scene. Then he decided to sign the citation adding something like, "Under Duress" or some such language (I can't recall) and thought he'd get his car back. Oops! No registration, so no car! It had been expired for about 2 years so he was going to have to hoof it to the DMV to get it taken care of. he was pissed.

Knowing what I know now, I would not have been as casual with him ... many of those guys carry guns and have no problems shooting the police.
*shudder* that's just plain scary.

I know of no cases where one of these freemen actually did shoot an officer .. they prefer to handle these matters in court...

Some jurisdictions rule in favor of these viewpoints too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">