• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Arkansas can u go to jail for not signing ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swiftcloud1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas Got pulled over for improper passing. Ask officer if I commited a crime he said yes. Then wrote the ticket,I said I can not sign it. He Said if I didnt he would take me to jail. I ask what I would be charged for? he said for passing on a double line.but he said if I did not sign he would take me to jail???

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas Got pulled over for improper passing. Ask officer if I commited a crime he said yes. Then wrote the ticket,I said I can not sign it. He Said if I didnt he would take me to jail. I ask what I would be charged for? he said for passing on a double line.but he said if I did not sign he would take me to jail???
Yup. Signing the ticket is acknowledging that you received it and will appear in court. Since you told him "I can not sign it" he chose to arrest you. Pretty dumb on your part.:rolleyes:

I_Got_Banned

To explain it in another way, when you are pulled over, technically, you are under arrest for violating the vehicle code.

The officer cites you, and asks you to sign the citation thereby making a written promise to appear on the date, time and location shown... By you signing it, the officer releases you on your own recognizance without you having to post bail. Otherwise, he takes you in, locks you up until the first available opportunity for him to take you to see a Judge, commissioner or magistrate.

And baystategirl, i don't think the OP got arrested. I think he refused to sign at first but then after the threat, he eventually did sign... That's the impression I got!

Hey There

I Got Banned explained this best why a driver cited for a minor traffic violation should sign the ticket. This isn't an admission of guilt.The driver merely agrees that he will appear in court or pay the fine.
All states require a signature by the driver to go on his way after being cited for a minor traffic violation.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">