• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney charged for each appearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tolin

NJ
An attorney initially charged me $250 for a court appearance. However, I gave the ticket to him a month prior to court date and asked him to have it re-scheduled [a not-guilty plead] since i was out of the country. On my return, he informed me that the "court was reluctant to reschedule". Therefore he appeared without me on my initial date. Now he informed me that I will have to pay him another $250 for a second appearance. Is it common practice to charge for every appearance or is it per ticket [case]? Also, it is common for court to be reluctant to re-schedule a ticket? [Freehold, NJ]

In addition, is it a good idea to write the judge a letter, explaining my recent efforts to become a better driver?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

tolin said:
NJ
An attorney initially charged me $250 for a court appearance. However, I gave the ticket to him a month prior to court date and asked him to have it re-scheduled [a not-guilty plead] since i was out of the country. On my return, he informed me that the "court was reluctant to reschedule". Therefore he appeared without me on my initial date. Now he informed me that I will have to pay him another $250 for a second appearance. Is it common practice to charge for every appearance or is it per ticket [case]? Also, it is common for court to be reluctant to re-schedule a ticket? [Freehold, NJ]

In addition, is it a good idea to write the judge a letter, explaining my recent efforts to become a better driver?
Q: Is it common practice to charge for every appearance or is it per ticket [case]?

A: Yes, it is common for a lawyer to want to be paid whenever he does work for you.

Q: Also, it is common for court to be reluctant to re-schedule a ticket?

A: This is common; the dockets are crowded.

Q: In addition, is it a good idea to write the judge a letter, explaining my recent efforts to become a better driver?

A: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">