• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorneys mailing home ads for traffic violations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newuser4321

What is the name of your state? - pa

i recently received a ticket in va and don't want to receive any solicitations from attorneys in the mail offering to represent me (i have representation already). is there any way to prevent this from occurring?

racer72

Nope. Your ticket is now public record and the attorneys use the info for solicitiation purposes. All you can do it throw the solicitations away. You may also want to contact your local politicians about this and have the practice made illegal. But most politicians are attorneys so this may be difficult.

Two Bit

You never know. A lot of people are up in arms about privacy lately. I'm pretty sure that this practice is illegal in Georgia.

I'd write letters to your state legislators and see if you can start the ball rolling on some action. You could also try calling in to local radio talk shows.

Who knows? Maybe you could start something.

HomeGuru

newuser4321 said:
What is the name of your state? - pa

i recently received a ticket in va and don't want to receive any solicitations from attorneys in the mail offering to represent me (i have representation already). is there any way to prevent this from occurring?

**A: yes, change your address.

newuser4321

done already, but won't both addresses show up on the public record? or do they just display the current address?

(if it helps any, this is for va)

Last edited:

sukharev

Hmm, I just got a call from the guy with heavy Indian accent, claiming he is from US Government and I was selected to receive a government grant of $12,500. He knew my phone number and address, and started asking lots of questions about me. I quickly realized that it was a scam and hang up. Later read about it on the web, this scam is as old as the phone itself. Beware, your public record can and will be used against you.

newuser4321

I just found the VA courts case information site; this gives my case with the old info, but doesn't list a street address. Is this the list that the mailers use? (and if so, without street address, does this mean they can't mail)?

Heather2

newuser4321 said:
I just found the VA courts case information site; this gives my case with the old info, but doesn't list a street address. Is this the list that the mailers use? (and if so, without street address, does this mean they can't mail)?
Why don't you just throw them away? It's not a big deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">