• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Authorized Emergency Vehicles (Use of Emergency Lights)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gtzdad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I'm currently working with a guy who is a certified EMT. He placed red and blue lights inside of his personal vehicle, which I told him I believed was against the law because he is not working as an EMT nor is he volunteering as an EMT with any department. The statute I read is;

Sec. 541.201. VEHICLES. In this subtitle:

(1) "Authorized emergency vehicle" means:
(D) a private vehicle of a volunteer firefighter or a certified emergency medical services employee or volunteer when responding to a fire alarm or medical emergency;

Reading that statute, in conjunction with this one;

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless the equipment is:

(1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter;
d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if the vehicle is:
(2) an authorized emergency vehicle;

My opinion is that because he is not serving in an official capacity by being employed with or volunteering for a department that his vehicle is NOT an authorized emergency vehicle. Am I correct in that opinion?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your friend sounds like yet another big time buff who is going to get himself into trouble over nonsense like this.

If he wants to play with lights and sirens he should join a volunteer FD or ambulance corps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">