• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident, Officer making the report was a family friend!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A_M_226

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Any advice would really help. Thanks in advance!!! So i was giveing my little brother a ride to school one morning and it had snowed the night before. not a lot but it snowed. We were coming to a stop sign and i proceded to brake. My car started to stop and then nothing it wouldn't stop. I was on a patch of ice. There were two cars ahead of me and i tryed to turn to avoid hiting the car in front of me. I didnt turn fast enough and my car slid into the left back end of a van. I then called to report the accident and the officer arrived about 10 minutes later. As soon as he pulled up the woman who was driveing the other vehicle proceded to get out of her vehicle and yell at the officer. She said i wasn't paying attention and things like that. I stayed in my car until he approached me. When he approached my (little did i know) he was my brothers old baseball coach. He wrote out the report and the whole time he was doing this the woman was being very rude telling him that he better give me a ticket and that kind of stuff. So then he said he was going to give me a ticket for "Failure to Reduce Speed". This is the part i dont understand, he had this woman sign my ticket! then he signed it. But on my ticket he marked ice and dry and he also marked that i gave him my license for bond which i didnt because he said he didnt need it. So i went to court and pleaded not guilty of course. I asked the states attorney why he issued me a ticket and why he had this woman sign it. The states attorney said that the officer should have issued me a ticket based on his judgement not on what the other driver wanted. Now i have to go back to court for a trial and i really dont understand why or what i should do. Do i find an attorney or do i just go and state my case????

CdwJava

Apparently the lady is alleging that you failed to slow properly. Given the facts as presented, that might be the case. While hitting a patch of ice is an often unforeseeable act, the cause of the collision still tends to lie with the driver who did the sliding and made impact. While ice may be a good mitigating factor in a civil court, it may not be so in a criminal/traffic court.

Chances are you don't NEED an attorney. But, if you want to avoid raised insurance rates or possible fines or points against your license, you might consider at least consulting one that handles traffic cases.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">