• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatic Misdemeanor Expungement for Traffic Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lfrye1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

In 1988, I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for not paying my speeding tickets. I'm currently applying for a job within the health care field in New York City. The job application questions if I have ever been charged with a felony or a misdemeanor. Since this was over 20 years ago, and for a traffic violation, what should I state on the application? Has this record een automatically expunged after so many years?

Thank you for your quick response to this question...

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

Has this record een automatically expunged after so many years?
Probably not... There is no such thing as an automatic expungement of a midemeanor charge on one's record.

Some states allow you the ability to request expungement of a specific charge but it wont go away by itself.

Your best bet is to list it on the application, but then again, it all depends on how good of a background check they will run.

LSCAP

Tell the truth.

A number years ago, (I don’t remember when. Maybe late seventies.) the city reviewed the records of all the people who clean the public schools. I believe they wanted to make sure there were no pedophiles.
Of the four thousand members there were 39 who had some kind of criminal record. Including one who had spent fifteen years in jail for murder.

The only ones - three of them - that were fired were the people who lied and said they did not have a record. NOT the guy who had committed murder. He had served his time and admitted it on his application.

If you don’t tell the truth, and explain if you can, it can come back and bite you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">