• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile Insurance increase after Court Settle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimosavi

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi. This post is partly car insurance/Traffic ticket.

on Sep 22/07 I was charged with a traffic violation (39:4.88a) Fail to change lane.

This violation was about $150 and 2 points. plus your insurance will go up.

I went to court to settle the ticket since this was my first violation ever (violation 39:4-97.2 Unsafe Operation Of Vehicle) <-- they just mentioned the code, I didn't know what the new violation was or if it affected my insurance.

The prosecutor settled the ticket for ~$450 and no points, but the ask me to sign a document if I ever get a ticket in a similar case i get 4 points.

up to this point I think am ok with the insurance and no penalties or surcharges will be applied. but today I get the new rate today with almost 30% increase. when i call the insurance company they said there is a record in DMV indicating I committed a moving violation. I told them I didn't get points for this ticket, but they say it doen't matter, the violation is there.

They said to go and fight with the court/DMV again to settle this and to remove the violation, but I have no documentation to prove otherwise, just what was settled in court.

I ended up paying $450 for a $150 ticket + (since I seem to be a menace to society) now I have to pay about $300 extra for the next 4 year!

I think this is really unfair, the insurance Co. (GEICO) are ripping people off and the DMV are over exploiting the law changing violations and charging driver a lot of extra money.

Is there something i can do, to settle this? in court? with insurance co?

Changing Insurance companies will help? will i get a cheaper rate elsewhere?

Do i have to go to court again to get documentation regarding this case to sent to the insurance to fix the issue? I wasn't awared the violation 39:4-97.2 will raise a red flag on the insurance co, if I did, I won't take it) I guess i had to go with a lawyer.

Can you please give me some advice on how to proceed. Your help is much appreciated!

-Violated over-abused driver.What is the name of your state?

racer72

The points issue is irrelevent to the insurance company, that is strictly between you and the state. It is too late to fight the ticket at this time, you accepted the charges and fines on a plea bargain, you can't appeal. Your only option is to shop around but every insurance company is going to charge extra for the ticket.

kimosavi

Thank you so much Racer72.

I thought the same thing, and shopping I will. but I appreciate clarying that the points themselves does not affect (at least directly) the insurance, but the tickets themselves.

The points are more in relation to the use of the state. got it!

but still i think the insurance companies are in for the joy ride, and their risk formulas are WAY OFF the reality of things, more to their advantage i will say.

Why can't the check my history, never a ticket for 2 years, and sudenly one ticket ruins my life for the next 4 years! absurb!

Thanks again!

The Occultist

We all know statistics mean nothing, but insurance companies are indeed able to use them to their advantage. The statistic that comes to mind is that somebody who receives a moving violation is more likely to receive another. Ain't that special! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">