• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AZ automated traffic enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

science-o-life

After returning home to CA from a trip to Phoenix in June, I received 2 automated traffic enforcement citations by U.S. mail. Photos of the car, license plate and statement of technology accompany the complaint, which claims I was traveling 76 mph in a 65 zone.

I have (had) a flawless driving record and this obviously could change my status.

I've read elsewhere that some recipients ignored the mailed document and because it was not registered or hand delivered (served), may not be liable.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Last edited:

racer72

You can ignore them. In a few months the tickets will be resent by certified mail, return receipt requested. Ignore those and in a year or so your driver's license will be suspended.

Or you could pay the tickets. They will not go on your driving record or affect your insurance.

science-o-life

You can ignore them. In a few months the tickets will be resent by certified mail, return receipt requested. Ignore those and in a year or so your driver's license will be suspended.

Or you could pay the tickets. They will not go on your driving record or affect your insurance.
Thanks for your response.

I contacted the AZ DMV and was told that if I paid the citations outright, they would show up on my record for 1 year.

My insurance costs would rise about 60% plus the citation fee, I'm looking at around 1k. ouch.

Meatstick

Science you have gotten some of the most piss poor advice I have ever seen on a legal forum.

What you received in the mail are just NOV's and in no way, shape or form are you required to respond. Look on the NOV's as by ARS laws they now have 60 days from the notice's to actually turn them into an official citation. IF they do file these with the court they will then send you another notice that will be an actual citation asking you to pay or giving you an arraignment date. Now IF they do turn these into actual citations they still must legally serve you in person usually by process server within 120 days. IF they do legally serve you then and only then will you be required to answer to the charges and if you don't you will then be in some trouble.

If they don't file with court with 60 days of original notice then charges will be dismissed !! (If they file past 60 days you will need to request dismissal with court and it will be dismissed).

If they file and don't serve you within 120 days charges will be dismissed (once again if past 120 days they file you will need to appear and request dismissal and charges will be dismissed).

So right now DON'T answer the NOV's as they are requesting that you identify the driver and send in. If you do, that is considered legally served and you can expect a citation in the mail.

Lastly if the NOV's were from DPS Photo Enforcement and you are served you will have to pay a civil fine but these tickets are not reported and you DO NOT GET ANY points on your record.

Don't let DMV or your insurance company fool you into doing something you don't have to.

CameraFraud.com Message Board - CameraFraud.com (Scottsdale, AZ) - Meetup.com

Go to this site and read up and you will see what your rights are.

I seriously hope you didnt take any of the other advice that was given in this thread. These clowns have no fuggin idea what they are talking about.

Good Luck;

Meatstick

The Occultist

Science you have gotten some of the most piss poor advice I have ever seen on a legal forum.
I have one, and just one, request: if you are going to insult other people, please make sure that 1) you do not misspell words that may change the meaning of your sentence, and 2) please do not open your post with a fragment sentence. Thank you!

EDIT: I happened to notice the OP's handle, so it seems you were not misspelling the word "since" as I initially assumed; my mistake here was due to your inability to use proper punctuation, which I also request you not use when insulting others. Thanks again!

science-o-life

What you received in the mail are just NOV's and in no way, shape or form are you required to respond. Look on the NOV's as by ARS laws they now have 60 days from the notice's to actually turn them into an official citation. IF they do file these with the court they will then send you another notice that will be an actual citation asking you to pay or giving you an arraignment date. Now IF they do turn these into actual citations they still must legally serve you in person usually by process server within 120 days. IF they do legally serve you then and only then will you be required to answer to the charges and if you don't you will then be in some trouble.

If they don't file with court with 60 days of original notice then charges will be dismissed !! (If they file past 60 days you will need to request dismissal with court and it will be dismissed).

If they file and don't serve you within 120 days charges will be dismissed (once again if past 120 days they file you will need to appear and request dismissal and charges will be dismissed).

So right now DON'T answer the NOV's as they are requesting that you identify the driver and send in. If you do, that is considered legally served and you can expect a citation in the mail.

Lastly if the NOV's were from DPS Photo Enforcement and you are served you will have to pay a civil fine but these tickets are not reported and you DO NOT GET ANY points on your record.

Don't let DMV or your insurance company fool you into doing something you don't have to.

CameraFraud.com Message Board - CameraFraud.com (Scottsdale, AZ) - Meetup.com

Go to this site and read up and you will see what your rights are.

I seriously hope you didnt take any of the other advice that was given in this thread. These clowns have no fuggin idea what they are talking about.

Good Luck;

Meatstick
Thanks for your response, advise and links. Helpful and empowering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">