• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AZ Camera Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jim6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I recieved 3 speeding tickets in the mail from Arizona. They happened over a 2 day period. However, i was not in Arizona, I have actually never been to Arizona. The car is the same model as mine with the same personalized license plate. The guy looks similar to me. White guy in his 30's -40's. I mailed in a copy of my license, and of my car to show that it was not me, but they mailed me another notice saying it was me.

I can proove I was in California since I was at work, but I dont want to have to go to Arizona.

I_Got_Banned

The odds of that happening are astronomical... Actually impossible if you consider that the same state would NOT issue the same personalized license plate to two different vehicles.

The only way that can happen is if these two cars are registered in two different states, but I would think that fact would be obvious to them by looking at the plate itself and determining which state issued that particular plate!!!

Duh!!!

reactive

Assuming there's no funny business in the original post....

Here's an attempt to be helpful. There probably is funny business in the other guy's plates, assuming pictures were mailed and clearly show the matching personalized license plate. Counterfeit alert. That's the most likely explanation.

I'd strongly consider getting a different set of plates, to be safe. More germane to the ticket situation, sending a copy of the driver's license does nothing and the photo of the car actually supports Arizona's claim. Unless you live near that part of Arizona, get an affidavit from your boss stating that you were at work then. Proof of employment (employee ID card, for example) from both of you would help.

Jim6

The odds are slim, but of course, there are 50 states, so there could be 50 plates with the same letters on it.

One of the reasons I sent a photo of my car is because the spacing of the letters is a bit different than the one in the camera ticket photo. Also, my license plate has a pattern on the background that is not on the camera ticket photo. One of the problems with the camera ticket photo is that the quality is not very good.

BTW my car is a California car, I cant tell what state the car is from in the camera ticket photo.

reactive

Your story isn't quite what I thought it was. Strange. Maybe Arizona ran the plate through some states and it matched yours and your car also. Is the plate not as unlikely to be out there as, for example, "Reactive"? Is the car pretty common? Have you tried looking at plates from other states to see which are similar in color (and anything else) to California's? But then it's possible for vanity plates to have a non-standard background color, and I don't even know if the speeding ticket photos are in color.

Anyway, it's not your job to identify the rightful owner. I can't think of a better way to possibly avoid going to court than to submit the info I mentioned before.

Jim6

I called them up again. They just said to send in the information again and say that it is not me and it is not my car. However, I did that once and it did not do any good. I think I am going to be stuck in a Bureaucratic loop.:(

Unfortunately the photos are black and white, and not very good quality. The plate has a light background with dark letters. A lot of states have a light background color, including California. I asked the lady what states they check and she said she does not know. I am betting that some states share their license plate data with AZ and some don't.

My car is a Prius, and the plate refers to its ability to go far on a little gas. Hence the reason that someone else with the same car picked the same plate.

Last edited:

reactive

Makes sense. I still think you should change the plates. The same driver might be cited again in Arizona. Edit: just read that it was over a two-day period. That kind of negates the suggestion and also raises the possibility that the guy lives nowhere near Arizona. By the way, if a court appearance is required, it might be possible for you to hire an attorney who works there to appear on your behalf, e.g., not travel there yourself. Good luck.

Last edited:

fairisfair

Are you an AZ resident? if not, I wouldn't even worry about it... Az rarely provides service to out of state drivers. Scottsdale is the only city that currently does anything at all with them, and even that is an ongoing court battle due to the service at address being performed by some of the companies hired to perform the job. in 90 days those tickets will just "disappear"

reactive

I wouldn't take that for granted. After all, Arizona hasn't let him off despite his efforts, and it was three violations. I have a new idea. Ask friends and relatives if they know any lawyers. Maybe they can arrange the favor to you of a free threatening lawyer-written letter to Arizona; that might just make the tickets disappear. Also, you never know with Google - possibly you can find the driver yourself.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wouldn't take that for granted. After all, Arizona hasn't let him off despite his efforts, and it was three violations. I have a new idea. Ask friends and relatives if they know any lawyers. Maybe they can arrange the favor to you of a free threatening lawyer-written letter to Arizona; that might just make the tickets disappear. Also, you never know with Google - possibly you can find the driver yourself.
And what type of threat do you think would be made that would leave AZ quaking in their boots? :rolleyes:

Maestro64

And what type of threat do you think would be made that would leave AZ quaking in their boots? :rolleyes:
Gee another first, have to agree here. AZ does not care if they stomp on your rights. The AZ supreme court just decide that you can be convicted of DUI for just sitting in your car, you no long need to drive it. With this track record that will be soon ticketing if you drive any car which is capable of going over the speed limit.

Arizona Makes it Easier to Impose DUI on Non-Drivers

Also advising someone out of state of ignoring a AZ ticket is just asking for trouble, you home state will tell you to pay or else lose your license once AZ notifies them you failed to pay

I_Got_Banned

The AZ supreme court just decide that you can be convicted of DUI for just sitting in your car, you no long need to drive it.
I haven't clicked on your link Maestro (I will)... But that has happened in Cali as well... If you're in the car, key in the ignition, even if the engine is off, it has been ruled that doing that shows had intended to drive... :eek:

The Occultist

I haven't clicked on your link Maestro (I will)... But that has happened in Cali as well... If you're in the car, key in the ignition, even if the engine is off, it has been ruled that doing that shows had intended to drive... :eek:
I can vouch that in AZ your key does NOT need to be in the ignition for you to receive a DUI. I personally know of somebody that had decided to sleep in the BACK SEAT of his car because he decided he was too drunk to drive home, and despite the fact that the officer had to wake him up to do so, still issued the DUI ticket, of which he was indeed convicted of.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the OP, so if we wish to continue this discussion, I feel it appropriate to start a new thread to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">