• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AZ-No Insur./Regis. Violation-Defendant Disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maritha

Greetings from Arizona. :) I’m new to this board and would like to politely request some help with traffic violation issues.
I have a very good friend who I met when he was a homeless person, starving and seriously ill with clinical depression. He went into the funk over a ruined relationship, and ended up pawning all his worldly goods till he had nothing left but his car and some clothes. He lived in the car and had no money for insurance or registration, so he’d park the car somewhere until the local residents would get uneasy. Then he’d move the car to a new spot, and have another brief respite till the neighbors were once again stirring. Aside from the necessary moves, he did not drive the car. He is a very careful and conscientious driver, does not use drugs, and has always had a spotlessly clean motor vehicle record.
Last July, when he was in a truly frightful, weak and exhausted condition, he was stopped by police. Of course, having no registration or insurance, he was promptly issued tickets. At this occurrence, his depression all but totally incapacitated him. His weight had dropped from 190 lbs to 130, and he frequently spent entire days withdrawn into a semi-vegetative state. :( He sold the car and lived on the two hundred dollars for the short while it lasted. Not able to pay his tickets, and too sick and confused to help himself, he let the issue slide; naturally, a warrant was issued. He made two court appearances a month or two apart, at which time he was ordered to do community service in lieu of paying money, but in both instances wound up being so sick with the depression that he was unable to meet the obligations. He lived under neighbors’ houses and in yards for three months, and then I met him last October and began helping him get the medical attention he needed. He’s now just beginning to recover, and needs to address the warrant. The doctor attending his depression prescribed meds and a four month period ( Mar-Jun '05 ) of adjustment during which he's legally considered disabled. The doc also agrees that the defendant was incapacitated at the time the tickets were issued, and will gladly furnish any type of written documentation to that effect.
I have very little legal knowledge, but I want to help this man straighten out his dilemma. I have composed a very good letter in support of him, and hope to get his fines/obligations either reduced or eliminated. So my questions are:
Can I handle this, or do we need an attorney? If we get a statement from the doctor, what should it state, and to whom at the municipal court should I address it? Then, should I fax or mail the documents to someone at the court, or should I/he physically go to the court and present the documents in person?
Any solid advice anyone can offer will be most deeply appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Maritha

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">