• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backing on Highway Ticket After Missing an Exit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsEmily

What is the name of your state ? Ontario (assume its like New York)
I've had a clean record before 2 very recent careless driving tickets and now I got backing on highway. And this now brings me to the maximum points before suspension. So I'm really scared and I have to try not to get anything more.

I missed an exit on the highway and I stopped just a few meters ahead only. I pulled my car to the side near the barrier and began reversing at the side, not on the highway and did not obstruct traffic. As soon as I backed back on to the highway so I could go to the exit a cop came and stopped me and gave me a ticket.

Anything can be done over this since I wasn't directly on the highway. Traffic was low else I would not have attempted it. Can I claim I didn't back on the highway but from the exit as I couldn't make the turn or something?

The officer did not see me backing at the side I think. He saw me at the exit with reverse lights, I can just say I had to reverse to turn as I was too close to barrier or something? What happens if I do that?

I also reversed at the side almost touching the barrier and not on the highway.

I know I did a stupid thing though and nearly no one gets backing on highway tickets I know I'm not supposed to do this but I figured I wouldn't get caught as there were few cars and it was dark.

I've been driving since 14 (legal in Alberta) and had a completely clean record before this series of incidents.

justalayman

Why assume its New York. It isn't and NY law doesn't apply to canada. It would do you no good to address your issues applying NY law

sandyclaus

I've had a clean record before 2 very recent careless driving tickets and now I got backing on highway. And this now brings me to the maximum points before suspension. So I'm really scared and I have to try not to get anything more.

I missed an exit on the highway and I stopped just a few meters ahead only. I pulled my car to the side near the barrier and began reversing at the side, not on the highway and did not obstruct traffic. As soon as I backed back on to the highway so I could go to the exit a cop came and stopped me and gave me a ticket.

Anything can be done over this since I wasn't directly on the highway. Traffic was low else I would not have attempted it. Can I claim I didn't back on the highway but from the exit as I couldn't make the turn or something?

The officer did not see me backing at the side I think. He saw me at the exit with reverse lights, I can just say I had to reverse to turn as I was too close to barrier or something? What happens if I do that?

I also reversed at the side almost touching the barrier and not on the highway.

I know I did a stupid thing though and nearly no one gets backing on highway tickets I know I'm not supposed to do this but I figured I wouldn't get caught as there were few cars and it was dark.

I've been driving since 14 (legal in Alberta) and had a completely clean record before this series of incidents.
That was an incredibly foolish move. You should have just exited at the next exit and backtracked.

And no, Canadian law (Ontario) is nothing like US law (New York).

Let's just leave it at that.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But you were extremely selfish, foolhardy and ridiculous in what you did. YOu could have caused a severe accident and killed someone because of your stupidity. Be thankful all that you got was a ticket. And you want to LIE in court? REALLY? You have no good character traits do you? You just want to lie through life.

quincy

... I know I did a stupid thing though and nearly no one gets backing on highway tickets I know I'm not supposed to do this but I figured I wouldn't get caught as there were few cars and it was dark. ...
Have you thought that perhaps "nearly no one gets backing on highway tickets" because nearly no one is stupid enough to do it?

I strongly suggest that you go to traffic school before a fourth careless driving ticket results in injury or death to you or someone else.

justalayman

I strongly suggest that you go to traffic school before a fourth careless driving ticket results in injury or death to you or someone else.

I'm with ya on the "to someone else" part but for the first part (and taking a bit of literary license) ; Give unto Darwin that which is Darwin's

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm with ya on the "to someone else" part but for the first part (and taking a bit of literary license) ; Give unto Darwin that which is Darwin's
Hopefully the OP would only manage to kill herself and leave others unscathed. But quite frankly, she would most likely hurt innocent people. And then want to lie to get out of it.

Salsawood

Backing on Highway ticket

MsEmily;
Backing on Highway ticket;
That is a big one. Considered very unsafe to do so, despite how careful you might be or how slow you might drive.
I grew up in NY State and that was and likely is still the case.
Like any ticket, you might try to get a pleas to a lesser offense or lowered fine or fewer points.
Its not like you were adjusting the position of your car to have space to jack up to replace a blown tire.
You were backing up and making adjustments to turn from the highway onto the exit ramp.
At night, your backup lights are very visible. Had you backed up 20 feet for some purpose, maybe you would have missed the citation.

As with any ticket, see if everything is in order. Errors on the ticket, wrong vehicle code cited, that sort of thing.
It happens, rarely, but can get a ticket dismissed.
As always, show up in traffic court. If the police officer does not show, you might get the ticket dismissed.
I have seen judges reschedule a new date even when the cop does not show up, one excuse was, he was reassigned elsewhere that day, and the judge rescheduled rather than dismissed.
I do not know procedures in Canada.

In some courts, even if the cop does not show up, the judge/ hearing officer can require you to make your case and go just on the citation as written against you without any further testimony of the cop.
That is rare, but it does happen down here.
The good part is, anything you state on your part cannot be opposed by the cop.

Your other purpose to show up, rather than just pay the ticket & accept the fine and points, is to throw yourself completely on the mercy of the court.
That is, honestly display a sincere regret as to your recent errors with a convincing statement that you recognize the weight of your actions and are in step to make some serious changes.
That is, you are set to start driving like a nun !

I would guess you are young, inexperienced, and learning some harsh realities.
You are not, I expect, the typical male aggressive, fast, hellion on wheels.

Dress well. Speak well. Bring an adult with you to court. Parent, Aunt.
Be contrite.
Something to show guidance, support and recognition of some changes to be made.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

... I do not know procedures in Canada. ...
That quoted part above is ALL you needed to say, Salsawood. You do not know Canadian law and your guesses and suppositions are not helpful to a poster from Canada.

Geez, all mighty. Who put the nickel in you, anyway?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">