• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Backing up to fast?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kilg0re

What is the name of your state? Kansas (olathe)

I was leaving chipotle for lunch and it had snow on parking lot. Police was about 50+ yards away and said he seen me backing out of parking spot to fast. I have 4x4 so I have no problems getting around. I'm not going to fight the ticket cause its his word vs mine. When he gave me ticket it said "032 basic speed". I then asked not knowing what it stood for is this a moving Violation. Cop said "I'm not sure since it was on private property."

Is it legal for cops to give tickets on private property. I don't know if it still is but I know it didn't use to be that way. I'm from Missouri and I worked part time down the street at bowling alley. We have to give police the okay to give tickets of any kind. At my job in Kansas I wasn't sure if same rule applied.

Thanks

Kilg0re

I been looking all weekend haven't found nothing. Is it legal to be giving a ticket on private property?

racer72

I been looking all weekend haven't found nothing. Is it legal to be giving a ticket on private property?
Yes it is. The question you need to ask is, is this ticket legal because I was on private property when the alledged infraction occurred? There are some traffic laws that can only apply to public roadways while there are others, such as the one you received and others such as reckless driving, that can apply to those driving on private property. Also, there are 2 types of private property, those that are open to the public and those that are not. Most jurisdictions allow traffic enforcement either by law or through the permitting process that allowed the construction of the parking lot or licensing of the business. You should at a minimum have a consultation with an attorney to determine which applies to your situation.

Kilg0re

Thank you for your help and sorry about not having the title correct. It was public parking lot. I will be taking care of ticket and not fighting it. Just threw me off when officer said you were on private prop. Thanks again for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">