• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad ticket - can they write me another?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pleasehelpmeout

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I posted on here a week or so ago about my ticket for "following too close", and that the officer cited the wrong ordinance(?) number on it (811.285 instead of 811.485). Now my question is, if I plead guilty and go to court, and get the violation dismissed, can the officer just write me another one with the right ordinance number?

If that's at all possible, I'll probably just plea guilty and get the base fine reduced (it's $243! :eek:), as I don't want the officer and judge to be upset at me for trying to find loopholes...

racer72

Now my question is, if I plead guilty and go to court, and get the violation dismissed, can the officer just write me another one with the right ordinance number?
Don't you mean not guilty? Learn the following phrase and repeat it in front of the judge:

Your Honor, I ask the court to dismiss with prejudice this citation as it is defective, the officer cited me for the incorrect statute and I am unable to present a valid defense to this citation.

I have seen this work in Washington, it may work in Oregon too.

pleasehelpmeout

Don't you mean not guilty? Learn the following phrase and repeat it in front of the judge:

Your Honor, I ask the court to dismiss with prejudice this citation as it is defective, the officer cited me for the incorrect statute and I am unable to present a valid defense to this citation.

I have seen this work in Washington, it may work in Oregon too.
Haha, yep I mean not guilty. Thanks for the phrase, sounds better than anything I was coming up with! :p

Anyway, so yes, if the court DOES dismiss that citation, can't the officer just turn around and write another one with the correct statute? Or am I wrong, and there's no way he could write me another citation? I would like a 100% positive answer on this one if possible...

racer72

There are 2 magic words in the phrase I told you to remember. Look up the definition of "with prejudice".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">