• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erion929

What is the name of your state?
Cali

I received a ticket for 21453c which is "turning right on a red arrow" (I thought it was a regular circular red light)....and I was astonished (ok, pissed :mad:) by the bail amount. $439 !! Does that sound right? Anyplace I can check that infraction's fee? :confused:

thanks~

occharge

The California Uniform Bail Schedule lists the Bail amount for a CVC section 21459.c at $100 (wait, don't get excited yet).

A footnote also states that CVC section 21453.c qualifies as an offense which can be charged as a "Highway Construction or Maintenance Area" Offenses, thereby adding a $35 for a total of $135 (wait some more).

The law also requires the Courts to collect a State & County Penalty which varies slightly from one County to another.

The State/County Penalty Assessment for Los Angeles County, for example, adds an "additional $24 for every $10 or fraction thereof" of the Bail amount set in the Misdemeanor & Infraction Bail Schedule.

So if you were in L A County the "Base Fine" will be $100 + $35 = $135.

That amount is then increased by the State & County Penalty:
(Since $135 has 14 "$10 or fraction thereof parts") then the Penalty Assessment amount = $24 X 14 = $336

For a grand total of $135 + $336 = $471

But wait, some Court will charge an additional $20 for Court Security as per Penal Code Section 1465.8.

So you really got off a bit cheaper living where you are.

Now, if you decide to take Traffic School, then you can add another $39 (I think) to your $439.

(I know you're dizzy so I'lll add it up for you:
$439 + $39 = $478)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... Maybe that's why nobody else replied to your question any earlier!!

Keep in mind that typically a "Right Turn On Arrow Only" sign must be posted if that traffic signal has such a restriction. If this is a new change for that signal, you might want to go back to that intersection to see if such a sign is in fact up and in clear view. If its not, a simple photo can save you that chunk of change.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hey There

AN ANSWER to your question

Erion929

3-21-08

On the Google Search Window type in CA. Uniform Bail Schedule
Click on California Courts: Reference: Other Reports and Publications
Go to the bottom of the page and click on
2008 Schedules (Rule 4.102, PDF 403 KB
On page 6 Additional Penalties and Surcharge give the formula on why a Base fine of $100.00 can be increased to an amount considerably more.(ie: Penalties and Surcharge are more than the base fine.) On page 13 two examples are given that show how Penalties and Surcharge added to the base fine increase it dramatically.:(
How a $100.00 base fine can end up costing more than $350.00 is also explained, step by step in a book on fighting traffic tickets in CA. published by NOLO.
The Schedule comes in very small but increase to 100% makes it readable.
Various other county court sites have this schedule as well.
Was your ticket issued by a red light photo camera?
Have you checked the location again where the violation you were cited for has occurred. Here if I remember correctly , even with a red arrow there is a sign with NO Right Turn On Red.
Best Regards,
Hey There

Erion929

Thanks, guys, for the replies. This was in San Diego County....

OCCHARGE.....I did go back to offramp/intersection and I DON'T BELIEVE I saw a sign posted "No Turn on Red Arrow" (we're not talking the "Right turn on arrow only" that you mentioned) . I will look again, but if there is no sign, is that a legitimate defense? Or will the judge just say "Go read your DMV manual, smartass." ? :confused:

Last edited:

Erion929

Note to "Hey There".....no, it was not a photo camera, I was stopped by a lawman-in-waiting (his partner was busy pulling another driver over for the same thing....trap!).

So, does a "No Turn on Red Arrow" sign HAVE to be posted to be valid? :confused: Somehow doesn't seem like a good defense....

Anyone know?

CourtClerk

Note to "Hey There".....no, it was not a photo camera, I was stopped by a lawman-in-waiting (his partner was busy pulling another driver over for the same thing....trap!).

So, does a "No Turn on Red Arrow" sign HAVE to be posted to be valid? :confused: Somehow doesn't seem like a good defense....

Anyone know?

A red arrow is the same as a red light basically, however, it controls your turns. If there is a red arrow, that means you can't run it... just like you can't run a red light to go in the direction of the light. If it was just a regular red light, you can make a COMPLETE stop, then, when it is safe, turn right. However, that is not the case with a red arrow... where you must stop until you get the green.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">