• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bail forfeit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homes4you

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a ticket from the game warden for riding a dirtbike in an area that he claimed was a protected area. Here's my question, Why do I have to post a bail amount just so I can enter a plea of not guilty?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I received a ticket from the game warden for riding a dirtbike in an area that he claimed was a protected area. Here's my question, Why do I have to post a bail amount just so I can enter a plea of not guilty?
1) Because dem's da rules!

2) Because, if you lose, the fine is already paid and they won't have to hunt you down.

3) Because dem's da rules!

JIMinCA

I have gone to an arraignment and simply asked to be released on my own recognizance. The bail is just insurance that you will show up for trial. However, I substituted my promise in lieu of bail. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I_Got_Banned

Keep in mind that by posting bail, you are not forfeiting it as of yet... Not until you lose, that is!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">