• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bay Bridge toll violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ucbboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I got turned around and accidentally entered I-80W near the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge (I meant to go East). There was a final Oakland exit posted, but I got very confused about the exit. There are two lanes which diverge from the main I-80 roadway which I assumed were the exit lanes. Turns out that they were actually part of a bus lane flyover and that the exit was a feet hundred feet further down the freeway. A Web search has led me to conclude that this mistake is made quite frequently. My error put me in a "bus only" lane which bypassed the bridge toll plaza and put me on the bridge to San Francisco. Signs posted past the point where I had no choice but to remain in the bus lane indicated that there was a heavy penalty (I think something like $1000) for illegal use of the bus lane. I wasn't stopped by CHP or any other law enforcement officers, but I'm worried that the incident may have been recorded on camera.

Does California law allow the use of cameras to enforce bus lane restrictions? I've been searching various sources online and there seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence as to whether or not cameras are used to monitor these bus lanes (with representatives from both sides claiming either that they are or aren't monitored), but no solid answer. Please let me know whether if anyone has any insight into this issue. I'd simply like to know whether I should be expecting a ticket. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">