• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beating a FAilure to Yield Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aprilrom

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was northbound on a four lane street (two lane traffic each way). I was crossing an intersection with no lights or stop signs. I was in a turn lane turning left. the two cars in the two lanes i was crossing stopped and waived me to pass when another car dashed out from behind traffic in an unmarked third lane (no pavement markings at all and definitely not wide enough to be a third lane) came around the other cars and struck my right front fender with his left front of his vehicle. I was given a citation for failure to yield. I strongly belive he was at fault for this accident and I have taken photos of the intersection and of the lane he was traveling it. Does anyone anything about pavement markings on a street to determine it another lane? He has told the insurance companies that he was in the third lane of travel which in fact there was no third lane. The right lane just seemed to widen a bit but definitely not another lane wide. The pics I have are pretty good. Do you think I have a chance?

mandy7181

the lane dividers between oncoming traffic and the lane you are in is always yellow

The lane dividers between traffic going the same way is always white dotted lines

The line marking the shoulder of the road(if marked) is always a white solid line

Hope that helps

racer72

The important part to remember, all state laws require drivers making left hand turns yeild to all traffic, not just those driving legally. Technically, you should have yielded to the other vehicle.

mandy7181

from what i understand, the person in the post did stop and yield. the two cars at the intersection gave permission for the car to turn..... it sounds like the other driver did an illegal pass--passing in a nonexistant lane.....but i would have to see the wreck occur...thats the tough thing about car accidents---if you arent there you dont see the events preceeding the accident and that can make all the difference.

stephenk

In California, a left turning car has to yield to ALL oncoming vehicles. Does not matter that 2 lanes stop.

The poster did not say if they saw the other car before starting the turn.

Is the right lane wide enough for parking and through traffic? Is any parking allowed along the curb just before the intersection?

If parking is allowed then the lane is wide enough for a car to creep along the curb.

Since the cop wasnt there when it happened and I doubt the other driver is going to be at traffic court, you may have a good chance to win. If you honestly say the other car was going faster than speed limit, chances are better.

lilkim481

failure to yield

Omg...the same thing happend to me!!

what ever happend? did u go to court and fight the ticket? or did you just pay it?

let me know!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">