• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best case scenario for running a stopped school bus in NC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lolo987

If someone who lives in North Carolina accidentally passes a stopped school bus that is on the other side of the road, what is the penalty?

Let's say the person has never had a ticket before, and has a clean driving record of over 30 years.
No police officer saw the person pass the bus, as it was only the bus driver who saw it and reported it.
In such a situation, what would most likely happen to the person who committed this traffic violation?

What would their best option be?

Thanks!

Lolo987

To hire a lawyer to defend themselves against this hypothetical charge. :rolleyes:
Haha, this happened to my Mom this morning and she is freaking out! :(

You say it is a hypothetical charge? What would be the worse that would come out of this?

I told Mom probably nothing will even happen, but she is freaking out. She has bad panic attacks. :(

Lolo987

Hypothetically speaking...
Hypothetically speaking? Wow, I'm a bit lost. Can someone break this down into dummy language for me? Haha

My Mom really is nervous. She is afraid the driver is gonna report her. I been trying to tell her there is no case or charge because a cop did not see her.
I think she is over-reacting.

I'm correct, right?

Gail in Georgia

"She is afraid the driver is gonna report her. I been trying to tell her there is no case or charge because a cop did not see her.
I think she is over-reacting.

I'm correct, right? "

It would appear you are incorrect in this assumption:

GS_20-217

Gail

asiny

If someone who lives in North Carolina accidentally passes a stopped school bus that is on the other side of the road, what is the penalty?
A Class 2 Misdemeanor,
Up to four points on driver's license,
Four points on insurance,
Fines up to $200 for a violation,
Conviction goes on driving record.
No police officer saw the person pass the bus, as it was only the bus driver who saw it and reported it.
Did this happen?
In such a situation, what would most likely happen to the person who committed this traffic violation?
See above, to your original question.
What would their best option be?
Attorney.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell your mom that until something happens, she shouldn't even think about it.

I routinely travel 2 mph over the speed limit...and I've passed police officers while doing so. If I were to spend all my time worrying about them tracking me down, I'd be a wreck!

xylene

Your mom committed one of the worst driving offenses possible.

She should have a lawyer on speed dial in case something happens.

Otherwise she should do nothing, legally speaking.

I will say that she should see a psychiatrist for her panic attacks. If she does she should see a better one. There is no reason to live with that kind of pain and debilitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">