• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a bind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texasdriver2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

State of Texas.

I was pulled over in August of 2007. It was by a Texas DPS officer. He wouldn't write a ticket for speeding. He asked for proof of insurance, and my drivers license. I was in the process of constantly moving my residence, and I had a lot of paperwork in the backseat. After about 5 minutes of looking for my Insurance card, he mentioned he did not have time to wait on me to locate the card.

He wrote a ticket for not being able to provide proof of insurance, and for having the wrong residence address on my drivers license. This was on a Friday.

On Tuesday, I immediately changed my address to the current address I was staying at. The problem, is I had moved 6 times in 4 years, 4 times in the previous year of being pulled over. I had never changed my address since my original registered address, and had been pulled over numerous times without getting an offense. After receiving the violation I learned you have to change your drivers license address within 30 days of getting a new address. I had current valid insurance on the vehicle I was driving as well.

I was working, and maintaining a part time business at this time. My court date was set 21 days later. Well, 21 days later I was out of town for business purposes (which can be verified), and was unable to provide a delay in writing to the court. The court added "failure to appear" as well as "bail jumping" to the traffic violations.

My thinking was to contact the court, with proof of insurance, at the time of the violations, as well as the prompt changing of my address as soon as I could after the violation, providing proof of my out of district location on the set court date, and attempt to settle with the court on the court costs only.

Any help or ideas would be greatly helpful.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

State of Texas.

I was pulled over in August of 2007. It was by a Texas DPS officer. He wouldn't write a ticket for speeding. He asked for proof of insurance, and my drivers license. I was in the process of constantly moving my residence, and I had a lot of paperwork in the backseat. After about 5 minutes of looking for my Insurance card, he mentioned he did not have time to wait on me to locate the card.

He wrote a ticket for not being able to provide proof of insurance, and for having the wrong residence address on my drivers license. This was on a Friday.

On Tuesday, I immediately changed my address to the current address I was staying at. The problem, is I had moved 6 times in 4 years, 4 times in the previous year of being pulled over. I had never changed my address since my original registered address, and had been pulled over numerous times without getting an offense. After receiving the violation I learned you have to change your drivers license address within 30 days of getting a new address. I had current valid insurance on the vehicle I was driving as well.

I was working, and maintaining a part time business at this time. My court date was set 21 days later. Well, 21 days later I was out of town for business purposes (which can be verified), and was unable to provide a delay in writing to the court. The court added "failure to appear" as well as "bail jumping" to the traffic violations.

My thinking was to contact the court, with proof of insurance, at the time of the violations, as well as the prompt changing of my address as soon as I could after the violation, providing proof of my out of district location on the set court date, and attempt to settle with the court on the court costs only.

Any help or ideas would be greatly helpful.
That might have been a viable solutions two years ago, but I highly doubt you'll be offered any settlement now.

texasdriver2009

Helpful Ideas?

Thanks for at least replying, I understand the time difference of violation to current, is definitely part of the equation.

This is why I'm asking for helpful ideas, or possible ideas, which would either lower, or at least achieve the beneficial outcome for both myself and the court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You being out of town on a verifiable business trip is no defense for failing to appear.

I find it amazing how people think it's okay to just not show up for any old reason.

Is your license currently suspended?

FlyingRon

Contacting the court and getting a court date is probably the ONLY way to resolve this. However "proof" you were intentionally out of town blowing off your appearance date or other notes from your mama aren't going to mean squat to the court. You either appear or make arrangements ahead of time. Only catastrophes that physically prevent your appearance work. Once you FTA and do resolve it, as wireless points out just compound the problem.

I agree with Highway too, your license is probably suspended, I'd avoid driving to court.

You can show up (don't expect to go anywhere for a while) for court on your own or find a lawyer to negotiate. You might duck the insurance charge, but your FTA and drivers license charges are going to stand.

texasdriver2009

License isn't suspended

I received a letter stating that my license would not be renewed. The violations I have do not compel a suspended license immediately. I'm sure it's probably different in other states, but I'm just filling you in on Texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">