• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

blocked intersection ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carrieland77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,
Unfortunately, I received a ticket today for blocking an intersection. I was on X street crossing Y Ave. I was second in line at a green light and a Con Ed truck was in front of me. I had been on this street for a few avenues and traffic was moving smoothly. When the light turned green, the truck proceeded across the avenue and I followed. Once the truck crossed the threshold of the crosswalk, it stopped. I could not see in front of it so I do not know why it stopped but I was stuck. A cop, behind one car on Y Ave. saw what was happening and pulled behind me. He waited for the light to turn red and then put his lights on. The truck moved seconds after the light turned red, but because I was stuck between him and a cop car, I could not get out of the situation.
So while I was in the middle of an intersection, I proceeded with the assumption that since traffic was moving smoothly that I would be able to cross. Since the truck stopped suddenly in front of me, am I still responsible? If I try to fight this ticket, do I have a chance at winning? I am not so much concerned with the fine as I am with points being added to my license.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,
Unfortunately, I received a ticket today for blocking an intersection. I was on X street crossing Y Ave. I was second in line at a green light and a Con Ed truck was in front of me. I had been on this street for a few avenues and traffic was moving smoothly. When the light turned green, the truck proceeded across the avenue and I followed. Once the truck crossed the threshold of the crosswalk, it stopped. I could not see in front of it so I do not know why it stopped but I was stuck. A cop, behind one car on Y Ave. saw what was happening and pulled behind me. He waited for the light to turn red and then put his lights on. The truck moved seconds after the light turned red, but because I was stuck between him and a cop car, I could not get out of the situation.
So while I was in the middle of an intersection, I proceeded with the assumption that since traffic was moving smoothly that I would be able to cross. Since the truck stopped suddenly in front of me, am I still responsible? If I try to fight this ticket, do I have a chance at winning? I am not so much concerned with the fine as I am with points being added to my license.
You have just described a perfect example of what constitutes "blocking an intersection". Odds are they won't offer a plea, but it never hurts to ask for one - you have nothing to lose by trying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">