• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bogus license suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pgunder

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Over a year ago, I lived in Wisconsin, had both an Illinois and Wisconsin license. I was driving a car with Wisconsin plates in Illinois, was stopped for a traffic violation, and didn't have proof of insurance on me for Illinois but I was driving a car with Wisconsin plates and insurance was not required in Wisconsin. The cop ran my plates but couldn't, at the time, get a response back verifying the Wisconsin plates, so he gave me a ticket on my Illinois license for "no insurance" and said I just had to go to court to straighten it out. I was incarcerated at the time of the court date and my Illinois license was suspended and should not have been. How do I straighten this out on my own? I need to reinstate my Illinois license and can't afford a lawyer.

racer72

The ticket for no insurance was legitimate, whats the problem? Insurance is required all all vehicles on public roadways in Illinois regardless of the state of registration. It is also your problem you were in jail. You are going to have to pay the fines and any penalties before your license will be given back. BTW, look up Wisconsin statute 344.15, automobile insurance has been required on all motor vehicles in Wisconsin since 1986. That statement by you pegged my BS meter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">