• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broadsided, get ticket for "Unsafe Lane Change" California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckumelos

What is the name of your state? California. Orange County. Since the officer did not see the accident, what information is he giving me a ticket based on? Second, he circled the wrong date. So the date is Friday, March 19, 2005. Should be Saturday March 19, 2005. Does this make the ticket void? Would I be advised to contest the ticket? Thanks,
Celeste Kumelos

CdwJava

ckumelos said:
Since the officer did not see the accident, what information is he giving me a ticket based on?
He is basing it on the statements of the parties involved, and any physical evidence at the scene (skid marks, debris, points and angles of impact, etc.). Per CA state law officers with specific training may cite for the primary collision factor and related offenses based upon their collision investigation.

Second, he circled the wrong date. So the date is Friday, March 19, 2005. Should be Saturday March 19, 2005. Does this make the ticket void?
By itself? No. This is often corrected on testimony. The citation is a notice and not a document that must be 100% free from clerical errors.

Would I be advised to contest the ticket?
If you have a valid defense, certainly. The officer's opinions and conclusions may be incorrect. However, if he is right, and you have no real defense, you may consider opting for traffic school.

However, it wouldn't hurt to consult an attorney who specializes in traffic offenses.

- Carl

ckumelos

Officer Looking

I don't believe the officer ever looked at the collision spot. He only asked me, the other driver, and this drunk witness what we remembered. Well I guess I will plead it not guilty, and see if the officer can prove it.

CdwJava

ckumelos said:
I don't believe the officer ever looked at the collision spot. He only asked me, the other driver, and this drunk witness what we remembered. Well I guess I will plead it not guilty, and see if the officer can prove it.
In all honesty, it isn't that tough to prove. It depends on what all the parties had to say and where the damage was. If you were making a turning movement into another lane, chances are you will be at fault.

What exactly happened?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">