• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bull**** CA speeding ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teamreno81

Was driving from NV to CA last month because I had moved to San Francisco. Saw CHP had someone pulled over to the right on the downhill slope of Emigrant Gap. I didn't want to chance it so I slowed from approx. 80 down to 65--saw I was doing just under 65 as I passed the CHP car. Sure enough he pulled out from behind his last victim and pulled me over, said he had me on radar doing 83. I didn't argue or ask to see his reading (had a handgun in the car and wasn't in the mood to deal with more B.S.). Does CHP have some kind of multi-directional radar system that allows them to shoot a reading from BEHIND and ABOVE their vehicle while they finish writing someone else a ticket, or was this cop bluffing an out-of-stater for an easy ticket? Do I have a chance to fight this? I already pleaded Not Guilty on the off chance the cop won't show up.

The Occultist

Firstly, technology has gotten pretty good so it is possible he had some unit that accounted for all kinds of angles.

Secondly, when an officer is trained on RADAR he is actually trained on visual estimation, that is, he is trained to visually estimate your speed and then typically confirms it with the use of his RADAR.

As far as beating this, there are a LOT of posts in this forum that deals with challenging RADAR readings. Minimal searching on your part should yield such information. Otherwise, I'm sure somebody should be along soon enough to fill you in.

I do, however, wish to point out the irony in your anger that the officer pegged you at 83 after you admitted that you were doing "approx. 80". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I didn't argue or ask to see his reading
He is under no obligation to show you his reading.
(had a handgun in the car and wasn't in the mood to deal with more B.S.).
~Driving from NV to CA~
Gas..... $50
Doing 83 in 65.... $266
Doing 83 in 65 while CCW... :eek:
Does CHP have some kind of multi-directional radar system that allows them to shoot a reading from BEHIND and ABOVE their vehicle while they finish writing someone else a ticket
Yes... CHP cruisers are equipped with one front facing radar gun and one rear facing radar gun.

... or was this cop bluffing an out-of-stater for an easy ticket?
Like the Occultist eluded to, if he was bluffing, and considering you were doing approx 80, 83mph seems like a pretty good bluff!!!

Welcome to CALIF:cool:RNIA, by the way.

Last edited:

racer72

I was at a fair a few weeks ago, my local state patrol office has one of their newer cars on display. Among the new gadgets these cars now have is a radar unit built into the light bar on top of the vehicle. It works both forward and backwards at the same time. The CHP unit could have had the same thing.

CdwJava

CHP primarily uses the Stalker Dual. These have dual antennas that can be set to capture speed from the front or the back, and set with options to operate while the patrol vehicle is parked or in motion.

So, yes, he could have had it set on the rear antenna (out of the rear facing window) to capture the speed of approaching traffic. And if you were 65 when you PASSED him doesn't mean you were at that speed when he observed you and caught you on radar.

- Carl

Jim_bo

CHP primarily uses the Stalker Dual. These have dual antennas that can be set to capture speed from the front or the back, and set with options to operate while the patrol vehicle is parked or in motion.

So, yes, he could have had it set on the rear antenna (out of the rear facing window) to capture the speed of approaching traffic. And if you were 65 when you PASSED him doesn't mean you were at that speed when he observed you and caught you on radar.

- Carl
It was my understanding that radar trained cops use visual estimation to determine speed. They only use the radar to verify. I wonder how this cop visually estimated the OP's speed while he was working another traffic stop. He must have used his mirrors. Is that part of the visual estimation training? If he can visually estimate speed with a rear view mirror to any degree of accuracy, I'm impressed.

CdwJava

It was my understanding that radar trained cops use visual estimation to determine speed. They only use the radar to verify. I wonder how this cop visually estimated the OP's speed while he was working another traffic stop. He must have used his mirrors. Is that part of the visual estimation training? If he can visually estimate speed with a rear view mirror to any degree of accuracy, I'm impressed.
I can't say what he did or how he did it. The question concerned whether they operated radar rearward and the answer was, affirmative.

Whether the officer was in his car, looking over his shoulder from inside the car, or standing outside the car when he made the visual estimation, none of us can say. That would presumably be brought up at trial.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">