• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

busted while on deferred adjudication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bubbasmurf

What is the name of your state? TX (Houston)

I was busted for running a red light while on deferred adjudication. What I'd like to know is is it a violation of my probation to be only CITED for an infraction or do I have to be CONVICTED of the infraction? The qualifications for passing my probation are a bit vague ("Committ no offense against the State of Texas" etc....) . My deferred adjudication is over in January 8, 2003, and I'm sure I can get a court date later than that. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

bubbasmurf said:
What is the name of your state? TX (Houston)

I was busted for running a red light while on deferred adjudication. What I'd like to know is is it a violation of my probation to be only CITED for an infraction or do I have to be CONVICTED of the infraction? The qualifications for passing my probation are a bit vague ("Committ no offense against the State of Texas" etc....) . My deferred adjudication is over in January 8, 2003, and I'm sure I can get a court date later than that. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

**A: you ran a red light so you committed an offense. do you think the Court will believe your word or the word of the police officer? Remember, you do not have a very good record with thelaw.

M

maybeso

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I agree. You'll undoubtedly be sentenced to give tours at "The Alamo" - - car rental agency, that is.

IAAL
Funny!

But, seriously folks...

Answer: Generally, in Texas, a violation of your probation in deferred adjudication is one of the listed ones in your probation order.

That being said: a violation of the Transportation code is usually not enough to kick in the "violation of an offense against the State of Texas"

Under the Texas Statutes it is not technically a crime to violate a minor traffic law. It is the penal code and those such as DUI that the probation is talking about.

YOu had a lawyer when you went to court the first time, didn't you? Contact him/her and ask; or contact a criminal lawyer in your area, pay a small fee and find out for sure.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer

This is not legal advice nor am I acting as your lawyer for any purpose. This posting is merely my personal opinion meant only to educate and elucidate. In any case, you should further research this topic for yourself, make an informed decision and consult a competent attorney in your area and state before acting on any website advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">