• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA: 75mph in a 65 zone - ur kidding me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kodi57

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I got a ticket for 75 in a 65 on a major highway.

I am not sure what my exact question is, but I know I don't deserve what I am getting here. So either I pay my $200 + possibly get a point(not sure?) on my record. OR pay a $145 driving school 'admin' fee>?!< + other fee + lost saturday for the state to drop the charges.

All this seems a little steep to me. I have a perfect driving record, and most importantly EVERYONE goes 70+ on this road. This day/stretch of road I was the fastest car. Not typical.

I do not dispute that I was breaking the law. I feel like pleading no contest(?) just to go tell a judge I am getting raped. Am I wasting my time? Please advise. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lwpat

California Speeding Ticket

but I know I don't deserve what I am getting here
Yes you do because you have chosen to live and drive in California. You do not have to appear in court if you take the traffic school. The court will mail you a courtesy notice advising that you are eligible. Advise the court that is what you have chosen and post the bond. Upon completion of the course the ticket will be dropped. Note that there is a time limit to submit your certificate to the court. Keep copies of everything and if you send anything by mail do it CRRR.

Most California courts are accepting online traffic school. Check your particular court at
http://www.trafficschoolonline.com/?lcode=4013

kodi57

Thanks for your response lwpat, I looked into online traffic school after I made this post, and I guess its is my best option. Thanks for your reccomendation.

Not very happy, but I guess its like you said ->
because you have chosen to live and drive in California
Is that from personal experience, or just experiences posted here? I'm am new to CA, and I have already gotten 2 parking tickets and now this. I went from a perfect driver, to this in 4 months. Pretty sad, I guess they need my money more than I do.
/

racer72

Try obeying the traffic and parking laws and you will be surprised how easy things can be. Just because everyone else does something has got to be the lamest excuse ever muttered. As my dear departed mother use to say when I would use that excuse, "If everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?".

kodi57

Hey racer, I noticed a lot of people here do some stupid things. So I hope you made your comment for them and not me. I already pointed out that I am a safe driver, and I believe that moving with flow of traffic _is safer than moving at posted speeds within reason. So your age-old 'bridge jumping' comment is very short-sighted. Save your quips for your grandkids.

N

NotACopOrLawyer

For everyone:

Hey guys, where's the helpful, constructive advice today? We don't have to SLAM the people who ask for help here. They've already been slammed, by getting a ticket.

For Kodi57:

Most courts will allow you to take the traffic school via the internet. It is faster, too. People tell me it takes just a couple hours.

But if you are considering fighting the ticket, here's what to do.

If you fight the ticket and are found guilty by the judge, you would probably want to still be able to get traffic school. Most judges will give it to people who have fought and lost, but some judges won't. To find out what your local judge's policy is, go watch in his courtroom, on a trial day. Watch a good part of the session - because the judge may say, at the beginning, that he hardly ever gives traffic school to those who lose, and then end up giving it to everyone. Happens a lot.

If he gives it to everyone, then you can safely fight your ticket. If you are fighting, I suggest the book Fight Your Ticket, by David Brown, available at your local library, which probably have several copies of it, some of which will be older editions.

If you are fighting, you will also have a 50% chance of winning just because so many of the cops don't show up for the trials. That 50% figure is from my personal experience, and there are people on this forum who will tell you that the cops show up virtually 100% of the time. But you will find out for yourself, during that visit that you will make to observe a trial session.

If you are going to attend a trial session, show up half an hour early so that you will have an opportunity to talk to the defendants in the hallway before the courtroom doors are opened.

Good luck.

NACOL

racer72

Your the doofus with the traffic ticket problem, not me. I was just pointing out how lame your excuse was. And yes, it was directed specifically at you. And if you go back and check my other response in the traffic tickets forum, you will find I just love to needle those that use lame excuses for the tickets that receive. Tell the judge your excuse that everyone speeds and watch him raise his eyebrow is disgust because he has heard the same thing thousands of time already. Next time be a little more creative, I give brownie points for the good ones.

kodi57

NACOL - thanks, yep thats all I was looking for. I was thinking that online school might be the best way to go. But I thought that the law stated that school had to be at least 6 hours and 40 mins(8 hrs with breaks?). In other words, it was more about the 'time' than content. I just talked to someone about the Blockbuster video, and they have time points where they make you login to a website and answer q's to make sure you're following along for the full time. I hope other online schools are different. Overall school seems to be the best option, no % to deal with; just get it over with in about the same amount of time investment.

racer72 - I just looked at your profile. You have 5000+ posts and they are all flame bait. You are a troll here, and still no one listens to you. I'll be done with my problems in 48 hours, but you will be a has-been loser for much longer. Enjoy!
:D

Y

ylen13

kodl you will get approve list of traffic school and just choose one and do it, do not worry about how much time you speend online school faster you finish faster you can get to you regular schedule life.

regarding 75 in 65, it's consider speeding, learn to keep an eye on your mirrors at all time and try not to run by your self but instead in a group and don't be first car or last car in the group.

CdwJava

As a note, not all counties even offer on-line traffic school. Mine just initiated it a few weeks ago ... there are still plenty of others that do not authorize it.

- Carl

kodi57

I just got finished with the online exam. It was pretty easy, and it only took 1.5 hours. Its possible to rush thru it in less than 5 mins, but they do put silly questions in the section review quizes to make sure your really reading.

Now the only thing I have to do is print and fax the test back to them notarized. They 'grade' it, send it back then I mail all the papers to the court. About $180 when all said and done. The site I chose: http://www.cheapeasyonlinetrafficschool.com

CdwJava

I hope you confirmed that ytour local court accepts the online program you used. They are NOT universally accepted in CA.

- Carl

Y

ylen13

kodi57 said:
I just got finished with the online exam. It was pretty easy, and it only took 1.5 hours. Its possible to rush thru it in less than 5 mins, but they do put silly questions in the section review quizes to make sure your really reading.

Now the only thing I have to do is print and fax the test back to them notarized. They 'grade' it, send it back then I mail all the papers to the court. About $180 when all said and done. The site I chose: http://www.cheapeasyonlinetrafficschool.com
wow you read, you can take quizes as many times as you want and you only need 70% i believe to pass so just scroll to the test and guess if you can't pass it after couple minutes go back and find the answer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">