• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA, exhibition of speed, DEJ, points on licence/insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vipergt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Ok so i was doing donuts in a cul-de-sac (also know as a court) or spinning my tires in a reckless manner or whatever you would like to call it, i begin driving the 1/8th mile back to the through road in this industrial park and right as soon as i get to the corner to turn right a police officer comes from down the road and turns short right in front of me blocking my car with his lights on, he gets out asks for my ID and name of passenger then says he is going to pull around behind me so he doesn't block traffic. after he moves his car he comes back asks for my insurance card and another cop shows up, second cop comes and asks my passenger for id which he doesn't have, so he writes down his name and address. the first officer walks back to me in the car and says hes writing me a ticket for spinning my tires around in a circle, i tell him ok and sign my ticket. The citation was correctly written except the class of my licence which is a CM1 and was written as class C only - not expecting to win anything over that - and he wrote me up for cvc 23101(a) reckless driving (upon a highway). I show up at court a couple months later (arraignment) and prosecutor calls me outside to discuss my "options". She started out with telling me i was being charged with exhibition of speed or speed contest, i showed her my ticket and she said the officer had wrote it up wrong but that exhibition of speed and reckless driving were nearly the same and she proceeded with my options,
i could:
1) enter a DEJ program and do 40 hours of community service with in a year,
2) have the charge (exhibition of speed) lowered to and infraction (1 point on my licence instead of 2 but no traffic school) and pay 200-300 after court fees, or
3) i could go to pre trial and fight the case.
I asked if i took the DEJ / 40 hours option, would insurance find out about this? she said she didn't know but thought that they would not as they don't send a report unless i don't finish my community service. SIDE NOTE i could care less if i get the 2 points on my license but i really don't want them to effect my insurance
So back to court i tell her i want time to call the dmv and find out if they send a report to insurance etc. she was fine with that and said she would hold the deals but not sure if she was gonna hold both of them... I sat down judges called me up i said not guilty and he asked if i waive my right to speedy trial i said yes 30/30 blah blah blah and here i am.

The cop couldn't have seen me do the donuts no matter what, there was no tire smoke (under powered car) and i admitted to nothing, will i win if i go to trial and say it was not me? i know this is lying but i do not care, i will simply say i was pulled over and another car was spinning tires and then pulled around the parking lot behind the building right as i was leaving.

However i really want to know if insurance will find out if i take the dej option? if so i will take the infraction offer if its still available, unless you guys tell me that i will win m trial.
Thanks for all your help in advance!

CdwJava

If the question is: "if insurance will find out if i take the dej option?" the answer is, "Maybe."

Whether the court reports your conviction to the DMV after the conviction or after sentencing, I can't say. If the court clerk said that they do not report it until later, then they would probably know. But, it could be that the person does not know the reporting details.

If the conviction appears on your DMV transcript, even if later removed, your insurance company might pull your driving record and act in accordance with their rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">