• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Given citations for a borrowed vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Woodburn

CA - Responsible for a borrowed vehicle's registration and correction?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I was pulled over for expired registration in a borrowed vehicle. I was given a citation for 4000a VC Expired Registration, 16028a VC No insurance, and 26710 VC cracked windsheild.

The insurance is no problem because I have proof that both the vehicle and I were insured at the time of the citation. I was able to get a copy of the insurance card from the vehicle owner, and I have my own insurance. However, am I responsible for the registration and fixing the windsheild for a vehicle that I do not own or have posession of?

I have a court date in 18 days and really appreciate the advice. Thank you!

-Woodburn

Last edited:

justalayman

yes. You, as the driver of the vehicle, are responsible for a vehicle under your control. The owner may also be liable for some of the situation as well but this does not negate your responsibility.

Woodburn

Thank you for your response. I don't have the vehicle in my posession and don't have access to it. Can I still be held responsible for fixing the owner's windshield and getting it registered? I assume I'll need to pay a fine for driving it in the first place, but I hate to think I need to go out of my way to fix someone else's vehicle to clear my name. Seems very odd. Thanks!

justalayman said:
yes. You, as the driver of the vehicle, are responsible for a vehicle under your control. The owner may also be liable for some of the situation as well but this does not negate your responsibility.

justalayman

I don't believe you would be required to repair the damage or to register the vehicle (you couldn't do this anyway since you are not the owner).

You are merely responsible for the vehicle, and the condition of, when you possess(drive) it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">