• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[CA] Inadequate Posted Signage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello!

I've got a traffic trial coming up and my defense is that there was inadequate signage postage. Specifically, this is a "One-Way Street" ticket... and the one-way sign itself was missing, as it apparently was removed by vandals, and the "No Left Turn" sign was completely obscured by a tree. This is in a rural area of the State, and I have good photos of the street where the alleged violation took place.

I would like to know if anyone knows off-hand the legal authority with respect to:
1. inadequate posted signage
2. signage obscured by vegetation

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.:eek:

Maestro64

Research CalTrans and MUTCD and everything you need to know about signage and it needing to be present and visible can be found. You better go back and take pictures showing the signs were not present or obstructed since as Defined by the MUTCD no ticket can be enforced unless the signs meet the requirement.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

If the signage was truly missing, you have a good defense. Your problem is proof, specifically, getting legally admissible evidence to submit in support of your defense.

Taking photos of the missing sign is a good start, but likely won't be enough (that's assuming you were able to get some of the missing and obscured signs). Ideally, you'll need certified copies of the State agency charged with sign maintenance and replacement for that location which show a replacement of a missing "one way" sign on a date after you were cited. (Non-certified copies MAY be useful, it depends on the judge). Witnesses to the missing signs would also be helpful.

Essentially, the more crap you can bring up in support of your argument, the better (as it removes any "wiggle room" for the court to find you guilty because of any evidentiary problems).

Good luck.

I have photos of three nearby, identical streets.

Each street has a ONE WAY sign... except for the street I was cited on. And I have photos of those streets.

I may need to conduct some more discovery and ask for a continuance for more research into the MUTCD.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">