• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA Provisional License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickip13

What is the name of your state? CA
My daughter received a speeding ticket in Santa Cruz County. She did have her 10 year old cousin with her. The officer questioned her and she provided him with numbers to call (which he didn't). He issued her a ticket and off she went.
The noticed came today and he cited her for speeding and 12814.6 B (provisional license violation). The court is checking to see if she is eligible for traffic school but they think a prov. violation maybe an automatic 1 pt. therefore no school. Does anyone know? On top of it all he made her get out of the car in her bathing suit and stand along the highway!!

CdwJava

mickip13 said:
My daughter received a speeding ticket in Santa Cruz County. She did have her 10 year old cousin with her. The officer questioned her and she provided him with numbers to call (which he didn't). He issued her a ticket and off she went.
The officer did not do anything wrong there ... if he didn't call, he didn't feel he needed to. And the phone number is a required item for a juvenile citation so he may have obtained it for that purpose, OR in case he was going to take someone in to temporary custody while he called for a parent.

The noticed came today and he cited her for speeding and 12814.6 B (provisional license violation). The court is checking to see if she is eligible for traffic school but they think a prov. violation maybe an automatic 1 pt. therefore no school. Does anyone know?
I do not think this can be resolved via traffic school.

On top of it all he made her get out of the car in her bathing suit and stand along the highway!!
And if she had been wearing a T-Shirt and shorts, she would have been standing along the highway in a T-Shirt and shorts ... what difference does that make?

Bottom line is that she faces a potential punishment of not less than eight hours nor more than 16 hours of community service for a first offense and a fine of not more than thirty-five dollars ($35) for a first offense.

It is a one point violation. And if she has received any other citations she could face the suspension of her license.

She needs to NOT drive her sister around for a while. In fact, the police may stop a vehicle solely based on her apparent youthful age and the presence of other youthful passengers (i.e. for suspicion that she is violating her provisional license status).

- Carl

mickip13

Maybe I worded mine wrong because I really didn't expect a 'scolding' just help understanding. I didn't expect a call just was surprised when the ticket came. I understand traffic school won't resolve the provisional license part but was hoping for the speeding part-plus it wouldn't hurt her. I was just wondering if it would stop her from attending. The strange thing is the courtesy note does not require her to go to court just to pay a $340.00 fine which doesn't make sense due to she should have the consequences you mentioned.
The only reason I mentioned the bathing suit (which I agree she should have thrown a shirt over) was what was the point. To have cars drive by and honk. That's safety!
All I was asking for was help from someone who was experienced.
She is my youngest of 4 and all my children pay the consequences for there actions. I just like to be informed.

CdwJava

mickip13 said:
I understand traffic school won't resolve the provisional license part but was hoping for the speeding part-plus it wouldn't hurt her. I was just wondering if it would stop her from attending.
I believe she is eligible for Traffic School for the speeding. If she does NOT attend traffic school (and thus avoid the one point for the speeding), she will likely lose her license for at least 30 days.

The strange thing is the courtesy note does not require her to go to court just to pay a $340.00 fine which doesn't make sense due to she should have the consequences you mentioned.
There shoul dbe an option to go to court. It likely says that you can pay the fine or attend court. And the $340 is probably for the speeding violation.

The only reason I mentioned the bathing suit (which I agree she should have thrown a shirt over) was what was the point. To have cars drive by and honk. That's safety!
If the officer were searching the car, he may have had her step out. Also, if this were on the highway or freeway he may have had them step out for their safety. Sitting in a parked car - especially if at night - is not always the best thing to do on a busy highway. It really depends on the circumstances.

She is my youngest of 4 and all my children pay the consequences for there actions. I just like to be informed.
Of course. None of my three drive yet ... Heaven help me when they do - they are ALL boys.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">