• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA RED LIGHT VIOLATION / out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

URJ

I was traveling in Los Angeles in July and was snapped by camera going through a red light in a rental car. I live in a southeastern state. I did not receive a violation until 34 days later - to the tune of $435! Since I have no plans to return to CA anytime soon, do I need to deal with this violation? If the fines were more reasonable, I would pay, but this is robbery..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was traveling in Los Angeles in July and was snapped by camera going through a red light in a rental car. I live in a southeastern state. I did not receive a violation until 34 days later - to the tune of $435! Since I have no plans to return to CA anytime soon, do I need to deal with this violation? If the fines were more reasonable, I would pay, but this is robbery..
Don't worry - the rental company will just charge it to your CC on file.

I'm glad you're not coming to LA - one less person who blows through the reds...

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, the rental company can always charge it to you if push comes to shove.

Ignoring a ticket is never a good idea. You could also end up with a suspended license.

I_Got_Banned

I did not receive a violation until 34 days later
The requirement in California is that the notice of violation must be delivered to "the registered owner of the vehicle" (in this case, the rental agency) witin 15 days of the alleged violation:

California vehicle Code Section 40518. (a) Whenever a written notice to appear has been issued by a peace officer or by a qualified employee of a law enforcement agency on a form approved by the Judicial Council for an alleged violation of Section 22451, or, based on an alleged violation of Section 21453, 21455, or 22101 recorded by an automated enforcement system pursuant to Section 21455.5 or 22451, and delivered by mail within 15 days of the alleged violation to the current address of the registered owner of the vehicle on file with the department, with a certificate of mailing obtained as evidence of service, an exact and legible duplicate copy of the notice when filed with the magistrate shall constitute a complaint to which the defendant may enter a plea. Preparation and delivery of a notice to appear pursuant to this section is not an arrest.​

So just because YOU received it 34 days later does not mean that it was not delivered to the agency within the statutory period. Check with them to be sure... Then again, even if it wasn't delivered to them within that time, and considering the fact that they identified you as being the driver, I'm not sure whether 40518 would get you out of the citation. That argument would be theirs to make and just like they have clearly demonstrated, they have no intention of "fighting the citation". It less time consuming for them to just pass it along and be done with it.

do I need to deal with this violation?
Well, since you're being non specific about which state you're licensed in, I will give you a general answer. Most states are members in what is known as the Non Resident Violator Compact, Driver's License Compact both of which are being combined into the Driver's license Agreement (here's a link: AAMVA : Driver License Compacts: Jurisdictional Agreements ) where information about out of state violators is shared between member states. Ignoring this violation will not only result in the addition of a "Failure to Pay/Appear" charge (which will cost you in upwards of $310 on top of the original fine amount), but it could also result in your driving privilege being suspended in California, which can be reported later to you home state thereby resulting in a suspension there as well.

If the fines were more reasonable, I would pay, but this is robbery..
Fines and penalties apply to everyone equally and are dependent upon guilt or innocence, not whether you think it is robbery or otherwise. If you choose not to pay, then it is up to you but you can rest assured that this matter will not be resolved by you ignoring it... Ultimately though, the choice is yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">