• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA traffic fix-it ticket - civil assessment for failure to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

urbanSF

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) - California

Thanks in advance for your time and response.

In January 09, I was ticketed in San Francisco, and unfortunately I forgot about the ticket by February. The ticket was processed into the system with the wrong address, even though the correct address is on the ticket, so I never received the courtesy notice as a reminder in the mail.

I wouldn't have known about the ticket had I not moved this summer from my old address, and updated my DMV records with my new address. That's when I received the notice 8 months later (Sep 09), but by then it seemed it was too late to do anything. My license had been suspended in June 09 and I had no clue.

The simple fix-it ticket, turned into a $1600 nightmare with license suspension.

I immediately called the court, and they explained to me that it was too late to do anything about resolving the matter and instructed me to pay the $1600 in fines (registration, missing front plate, proof of insurance, plus new court fees and a $300 civil assessment for failure to appear).

I am hoping that I can post bail with the clerk in order to get on the calendar for an appearance with the court.

Am I too late, or can I show that I have since resolved all violations with proof and hope the judge drops the civil assessment?

Note: I am aware it was my responsibility to appear on/or before the date written on the ticket, and that a courtesy notice is exactly that, a courtesy. I was shocked to see the DMV letter in my mailbox this month, as it was literally the first (successful) communication I have received about the citation.

I_Got_Banned

Am I too late, or can I show that I have since resolved all violations with proof and hope the judge drops the civil assessment?
You're more likely to get a reduction in the fine amounts than you are to get the FTA civil assessment reduced, But it all depends on the judge. Nobody here can guess what he/she will rule. Give it a try, worst thing that can happen is they'll say "no".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">