• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA - Traffic school for 2 tickets from different counties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JD01

What is the name of your state? CA

Got hit by a strain of bad luck lately and got 2 traffic tickets within a couple months with 2 different counties in California. I signed up for traffic school already with the court on the 1st ticket but had not attended traffic school yet. Now the court for 2nd ticket also offer me the option of going to traffic school, even though offcial rule stated that you can not go to traffic school again within 18 months unless it is ordered by judge. (And your have to go to an extended session (12 hr) traffic school instead.)

Has anyone from CA been in a similar situation before? What would happen if I try to go to traffic school for both tickets. I'm not sure if the traffic school (different by county) make any "reservation" with DMV when you sign up for traffic school. I don't want to risk getting the point on my record anyway after going to the 2nd traffic school and give up my chance of fighting the ticket in court.

Any advice?

Thanks!

JD

JD01

You can't go to traffic school for both. They will find out, and the points will go on your license.
Sorry for asking. Is this from your personal experience or someone you know? Seems like the court go through some records before letting you sign up for traffic school. Reading some information on the court web site, it stated if you selected traffic school, upon traffic school completion the ticket will be dismissed and the dismissal by traffic school record will be sent to DMV.

I also read that in the case that you are allowed a 2nd traffic school by court within 18 months, the 2nd dismissal will be not be masked from your DMV record (but no points added). I don't really mind if this happens in my case, as long as points for conviction are not added. If a court dismissed a case (via Traffic School), does DMV have the right to change it to a conviction?

Thanks for you patience for reading this. Just want to make sure I'm making the right choice.

AlanShore

The first ticket probably is not on your DMV record yet so the other court does not know. Call them and see if they will alow you to take Traffic Class again. I say no becuase you have not completed the first on yet.

JD01

The first ticket probably is not on your DMV record yet so the other court does not know. Call them and see if they will alow you to take Traffic Class again. I say no becuase you have not completed the first on yet.
Right. I'm pretty sure no conviction or dismissal record is on my DMV record yet, which is why the 2nd court still offer me traffic school. I am pretty sure if I call the court and ask they won't allow me to go again without seeing the judge either. But since they did offer it, can I take it?

AlanShore

Right. I'm pretty sure no conviction or dismissal record is on my DMV record yet, which is why the 2nd court still offer me traffic school. I am pretty sure if I call the court and ask they won't allow me to go again without seeing the judge either. But since they did offer it, can I take it?
Call the court and ask them. Its the only option you really have.

REXER

The court computer is connected the DMV database.

The court only offered you TVS in the second instance because you have not completed school for the first instance you requested.

You can only take traffic school once every 18 months to dismiss the point from your DMV and insurance record. If you take it twice within an 18 month period, you can get the second point removed from your DMV record but not your insurance record.

The trick to this is that if you take the 12 hour traffic school, your insurance will find out you took 8 hour traffic school too.

JD01

The court computer is connected the DMV database.

The court only offered you TVS in the second instance because you have not completed school for the first instance you requested.

You can only take traffic school once every 18 months to dismiss the point from your DMV and insurance record. If you take it twice within an 18 month period, you can get the second point removed from your DMV record but not your insurance record.

The trick to this is that if you take the 12 hour traffic school, your insurance will find out you took 8 hour traffic school too.
Thanks for the reply. I understand the part about "if you take the 12 hour traffic school, your insurance will find out you took 8 hour traffic school too".

However in my case I will only be taking 2 8-hr traffic school. Will the 2nd traffic school completion just get treated just like a 12-hr traffic school or will it be rejected somehow.

Are traffic schools linked to the DMV db too? Will there be an issue when the 2nd traffic school try to issue a completion certificate?

REXER

However in my case I will only be taking 2 8-hr traffic school. Will the 2nd traffic school completion just get treated just like a 12-hr traffic school or will it be rejected somehow.

Your second traffic school will not be treated like your 12 hour if you haven't completed your 8 your yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">