• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Driver's License suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

echarvel

After noticing that my license had expired, I called the DMV to ask why I had not received a renewal notice. I was surprised when they told me that the license had been suspended on Dec-07 when I had failed to appear in court last year due to a traffic ticket received on 4/16/07 in San Pedro, CA. I have never been to that city and it's more than 100 miles away from my place of residence.

In addition to that, on 4/16/07, the same day of the ticket, my DMV record was changed, without any kind of authorization from my part, to an address in Torrence, CA, another far away city that I have never been to.

The only link to the traffic ticket is that the name of the person that received it is similar, not even the same, to mine.

The DMV refused to acknowledge the obvious mistake and told me that the issue had to be resolved by the San Pedro court. The San Pedro court told me that I had to write a letter to the Judge's consideration, but since my DMV record shows Torrence, CA as a previous address, the judge was unlikely to grant any requests. I talked to an attorney, who recommended that I request a DMV hearing to challenge the suspension, but the DMV refuses to grant any hearing.

In the mean time, my driver's license is suspended! I've talked to the DMV department of mandatory action, visited the local DMV office, called and written to the DMV Sacramento office, and practically begged the San Pedro court to correct the issue. I've already sent the letter to the judge's consideration, but it will take 30 days to process, and even then it may not be effective. I haven't been able to get ANYWHERE.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated...

Maestro64

You might have bigger problems, someone might have assumed your identity. If I was you I would check your credit history to see if anyone has taken credit out in your name. If they have you need to get that all shut down as well.

Also request a copy of the ticket immediately, besides your license number on the ticket the make and tag number of the car should be on the ticket. This may help to identify who is using your license. Do not be surprise if that was not stolen as well.

You are now caught in the system with less then your sense of urgency. You now run the risk of being caught with a suspended license which could cause you other problems as well. This most likely is going to cost you money to get resolved, since it may take a lawyer to help.

Try and collect as much information as possible about what happen, any documentation you can get to show you were not in the town on that day will help, like records from you employer or receipt from shopping that day that can show you were somewhere else at that time. Have the DVM send you certified copies of the address change and any information that have about your situation.

try doing a reverse look up on the address at whitebook.com to see if it is valid address and who lives there, if it is valid see if the name match the name on the ticket. You might need to do some of your own detective work. since more information you can provide the judge the better off it might go for you. Hopefully you did a change of address back your home.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">