• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Plates in New york State.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minidriver

What is the name of your state? NY

I just bought a car in California and will have it here for three months. I plan on trucking it back to New York in the fall. My question is: how risky is it for me to keep my cool California plates on the car. I will clearly be a resident on NY and the owner of a business. Does anyone know what the fine is for having an out of state plate in NY?

minidriver

How about only ONE out of state plate?

And what if I only had one plate on the car? I know I'm pushing it but front plates on a mini are awful...

CdwJava

If you fail to properly register it in 30 days they can impound your car.

And, yes, I believe NY requires two plates on their cars.

- Carl

minidriver

They CAN impound the car, or they WILL impound the car. How will they know if I've been in NY for more than thirty days? Is there a fine they will issue first?

CdwJava

minidriver said:
They CAN impound the car, or they WILL impound the car. How will they know if I've been in NY for more than thirty days? Is there a fine they will issue first?
I doubt there is a law that mandates they tow the car, but most cops probably will.

And they will likely issue you a citation first - but they don't have to.

They will know about your residency by virtue of your driver's license, or your insurance, or your employment, etc. Unless you are going to maintain an address in CA and claim to be a perpetual tourist (and if caught, this is likely a criminal offense akin to fraud), this can have some very bad results.

Your call ... gamble, and risk thousands of dollars in fines, tow fees, and maybe even criminal charges. Are "cool plates" really worth that much?

- Carl

qcxlvr1

There are NUMEROUS violations of the VTL in what you want to do, and it is very easy to get people on it. Also, the issue with the insurance is not kosher, either.

So, do yourself a favor, save the headache and properly register the car with New York registration and an insurance policy written by a carrier authorized to do business in New York State. You will eventually get caught if you keep the California plates on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">