• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California plates in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

finedesignz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Live in California, but cited in Oregon
Oregon #811.100 "Violation of basic speed rule; penalty"

Although I live in California, I was driving south in Oregon on I-5 when I was pulled over by an Oregon Deputy for going 73 in a 55 mph zone with Laser at 1,240 feet. The officer stated that I was traveling 73 mph he was giving me a citation and recording our conversation.

I explained that I had seen him sitting alongside the road long way off, but was following two other Oregon plated vehicles, keeping with the flow of traffic and the last sign I personally saw said 65mph. I disagreed with his 73 mph claim, because my cruise control was set well under 70 mph. (I only allow myself to travel less than 5 mph over the limit). He said his laser is accurate, they put a tiny dot on the license plate or on the headlight.

When he came back, I asked him why he selected me out of three vehicles and if it was because I was the only one with California plates. He did not deny the fact, but stated that they were going 67 mph (likely accurate, as all three of us had been traveling the same speed for quite some time). He stammered around a bit, and said "they try to pull them all over if they can, but he chose me early on because I was going faster than the other cars." (Obviously not true).

He ended up citing me for going 70 mph, not 73 mph.

I feel the officer was discriminating because it's a well-known fact that Oregonians dislike California drivers.

Any advice you can offer is much appreciated. I would prefer to contest it in writing, so I don't have to personally travel back to Oregon court. But if I lose, I don't have the option of traffic school.

I_Got_Banned

I feel the officer was discriminating because it's a well-known fact that Oregonians dislike California drivers.
I'm not going to argue the validity, or lack thereof, of that statement... But why would you expect an Oregonian judge to side with a California driver if that were the case???

You should challenge the citation on the grounds of an inaccurate reading... However, challenging a LASER reading will more likely than not, turn out to be an uphill climb despite the fact that I (personally) feel that 1243 ft is a bit too far.

CdwJava

I live near enough to the Oregon border to hear a lot of stories ... for the most part, they are pretty anal about ANYONE speeding in Oregon. When traveling in OR on their freeways, watch your speed no matter what state you are from.

Unless you can prove some manner of unlawful discrimination, you are left with fighting the charge based upon the merits and attempt to establish reasonable doubt..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">