• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Point System

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe9828

Hello, I am a resident in California and have had a bit of bad luck this last month. Let me start from the beginning, I had received a speeding ticket in April of 09, went to traffic school, then received another ticket in May of 09. Therefore I am under the impression the point will stay on my record regardless if I had paid for the ticket or not (which I did). About a month ago I was sick, driving my girlfriend home, blacked out and had a seizure on the freeway and hit 3 cars. The DMV did not take away my license for 3 months, as I was told they should have, but still gave me 2 points on my record. Therefore I have 3 points, and was under the impression that if I had received another ticket or infraction, I would receive another point, and have my license suspended for a year. Well today I got another ticket (21752 (b) v.c.), yet the officer ran my record and said I have no tickets on my record and would be eligible for traffic school. I was under the impression I was going to have another seizure, therefore I sped up to pass the car in front of me just to pull over, because there was no room on the right, and the citing officer did not even put his lights on because I had already been pulled over and was throwing up. I've never had my license taken away and have never had more than 1 point on my record ever. Did the officer make a mistake by stating I was eligible for traffic school and will DMV suspend my license? Thanks in advance,
Joe

I_Got_Banned

The DMV did not take away my license for 3 months, as I was told they should have,
Why would they take your license away for 3 months?

Therefore I have 3 points, and was under the impression that if I had received another ticket or infraction, I would receive another point, and have my license suspended for a year.
FYI: The first DMV adminstrative suspension for having 4 or more violation point in under 6 months is "6 month DL Suspension + 1 Year Probation" (if you receive any violation points during the 1 year probationary period, then the suspension will go up to 1 year (total)).

Well today I got another ticket (21752 (b) v.c.), yet the officer ran my record and said I have no tickets on my record and would be eligible for traffic school. I was under the impression I was going to have another seizure, therefore I sped up to pass the car in front of me just to pull over, because there was no room on the right, and the citing officer did not even put his lights on because I had already been pulled over and was throwing up. I've never had my license taken away and have never had more than 1 point on my record ever. Did the officer make a mistake by stating I was eligible for traffic school and will DMV suspend my license? Thanks in advance,
Joe
I can't tell you why the officer told you that or why the record he looked up didn't show your previous (May/2009) citation.... But I will tell you that if your record is assessed 4 or more violation points, then the DMV "will" in fact suspend your license (6 month DL suspension + 1 year probation).

There might be a solution though. In fact, two solutions... (1) You can fight the ticket and hope you win ... OR... (2) You need to check with the court to see whether they offer what is commonly known as "Level 2 Traffic school". If they do then you may be able to take traffic school ("12 hours" instead of the "8hours" for "Level 1"). Upon completion of the course and while the court will still report the violation, it is reported as a Zero Point violation thereby not affecting your violation point count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">