• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California resident with speeding ticket, unsafe lane change, and no registration.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

backontrack86

Hi, I am a California resident and last night, I received a ticket in the state of Nevada while I was on the way back to California from a vacation. I was cited for going 55 in a 45, unsafe lane change in front of an officer, and for no registration present in the vehicle. First of all, I was on the onramp getting up to speed and I had to merge out onto the highway soon or else I was going to exit back into the city again so I had my left blinker on and I merged to the left lane but I guess I did it abruptly and didn't think there was going to be a Nevada CHP in a SUV behind me. He caught up to the rear of my car pretty quickly as he was going at a much faster pace than I was. He quickly pulled me over, told me I was doing 70mph in a 45mph zone (paced me according to the ticket) but there's no way I was going that fast since I was getting up to speed on a onramp and the officer caught up to my rear right after I merged into his lane right in front of him. He later said he put down 55mph in a 45mph, which is the legal limit in which I can get a speeding ticket for. Then he cited me for the unsafe lane change violation and for not having registration present in the vehicle. I was driving my parent's car at the time and they forgot to put the registration in there but I have found the registration back at home so I'm not really worried about the ticket for not having registration present because I can just show them in court to drop the offense.

I have a couple of questions that I need answers to and they are:

1) How will California treat my out-of-state ticket in Nevada? If I am found guilty in Nevada Court, will the points from Nevada transfer over to California and affect the points on my driving record?

2) Let's say I want to do traffic school and I've done a bit of research regarding out-of-state tickets and traffic school (specifically between California and Nevada), I am told that there's no way I can do traffic school for out-of-state violations. Am I correct on this?

3) What's the best option for me? I live 300 miles away and making the trip out to Nevada is inconvenient but if I really have to, then I will in order to fight the tickets. Should I hire an attorney there in Las Vegas and have them deal with it when my court date comes?

4) I understand that I can make a plea bargain with the court. My main concern is not getting any points on my driving record. I don't mind paying the penalties for speeding and unsafe lane change but having any more points on my California driver's license would ultimately have my license suspended. Do you think the Nevada court will adhere to this when plea bargaining with them?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You will get California points for Nevada convictions.
Nevada traffic school will not, I believe, keep the infraction from being reported to California (and hence giving you a point).
Your best bet would be to contact a lawyer in Nevada in the jurisdiction you were cited in and see if he believes there is anything he can do for you that will prevent a CONVICTION.
Frankly any conviction will likely result in points so pleading down isn't likely to help you much (especially when lawyer's fees are added).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">