• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

camera red light ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deebin5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I passed through a yellow light and, in the middle of the intersection, camera flashes went off. This was in Queens, one of the New York City boroughs. I am positive that the light was yellow as I was going through. When it turned red I had to be well past the middle of the intersection. I have to believe that the camera is set falsely. I can't believe that I am getting a ticket for going through a yellow light. Can I fight the probably impending ticket?

Of course you can fight it based on the grounds that you thought it was yellow. In fact, you can fight gravity by jumping out of a plane and willing yourself to levitate, too. Unfortunately, neither is likely to succeed. The photo will probably have meta information regarding how "red" the light was, and unless you request the records they have on file for how this camera/light is configured, you're probably going to get shot down with the "...but I thought the light was yellow, your honor!" defense.

What you think has no validity in court. You will either need to obtain proof that the camera is configured incorrectly (rare, but it does happen, and people have won cases based on this), or try the ever-popular "that's not me" routine.

You Are Guilty

Of course you can fight it based on the grounds that you thought it was yellow. In fact, you can fight gravity by jumping out of a plane and willing yourself to levitate, too. Unfortunately, neither is likely to succeed. The photo will probably have meta information regarding how "red" the light was, and unless you request the records they have on file for how this camera/light is configured, you're probably going to get shot down with the "...but I thought the light was yellow, your honor!" defense.

What you think has no validity in court. You will either need to obtain proof that the camera is configured incorrectly (rare, but it does happen, and people have won cases based on this), or try the ever-popular "that's not me" routine.
Bingo. In fact, I think among the various photos they send to the offender, one is a wide-angle shot showing the car entering the intersection with the red light.

Of course, if the camera is broken, it should be obvious, and it would be a defense (assuming you can prove it was broken at the time of your ticket and not some time afterwards).

Maestro64

RLC are designed to generate revenu, and most likely the light timing is not compliant to the required MUTCD standard which regulates all traffic signals in the US. As required by law it is not illegal to enter on yellow and have the light turn red while in the intersection. Traffic lights are required to have a period of all red to allow cars to clear the intersection. The problem arise when the yellow timing it too short which causes people to experience a red too quickly and they are cough in a dilemma, stop or keeping going. In either case you loose since if you slam on the brakes you still enter the intersection when it is red or you precede and still enter on red.

If you can show the light does not meet the Federal standard set by the MUTCD then you could win the ticket since it is illegal to enforce a violation when the light does not meet the standard.

In order to win you have to request the engineering study done for the light and see what the light timing is set to and see if it meet the Federal requirements if it does not then you win. But you have to be prepared and know what you are doing.

If you search the web for fighting red light camera tickets you will find the information you need since most people her have not clue about the MUTCD requirements and what is required by the standard. People have fought and won these tickets using the federal requirements.

Last edited:

deebin5

ugh

Sayeth Doug the Great:
Of course you can fight it based on the grounds that you thought it was yellow. In fact, you can fight gravity by jumping out of a plane and willing yourself to levitate, too. Unfortunately, neither is likely to succeed.

Friends,
I didn't come to this Forum to get flamed and I don't need wise crack answers.:rolleyes:

The Occultist

I didn't come to this Forum to get flamed and I don't need wise crack answers.:rolleyes:
You've come to a website where people donate their time on a public forum to offer advice. Seeing as how it is public, you cannot decide who will say what, and how they phrase it. You received legally accurate advice, and it was free. As an added bonus, the wise crack answers were free as well.

deebin5

ugh

Mr. Oculist,

Just because you have free speech does not mean that one can be obnoxious and a Neanderthal boor.
:rolleyes:

The Occultist

Mr. Oculist,

Just because you have free speech does not mean that one can be obnoxious and a Neanderthal boor.
:rolleyes:
Do I have to? Of course not! But people have died for my right to be obnoxious and a Neanderthal boor, so I feel I'd be insulting those brave soldiers if I didn't do so! :p

joephys73

Last time I checked, in this country you have a right to face your accuser and cross examine witnesses. At trial demand to interrogate the plaintiff and cross examine the camera.

Of course this won't get your case dismissed but it will display traffic court for the farce that it is.

You Are Guilty

Of course this won't get your case dismissed but it will display traffic court for the farce that it is.
Well, you're right about it not getting the case dismissed, but it will almost certainly result in the max fine and court costs being imposed (as opposed to some sort of plea deal for less).

Be guided accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">