• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Camera Red Light Violation send to wrong address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GANA

Hi,

two days ago I called DMV to renew my drivers license, and was told that my license is suspended and I need to contact the court to schedule a court date. This was a camera red light violation in December 2013, and the ticket was send to the wrong address. The registered owner of the vehicle is my husband, so I am not sure how the photo enforcement manager got my name, and used my drivers license address which for some reason has not been updated with DMV. They only changed the address of my car registration, and I'm not sure if this is my fault since there is only one form to fill out when changing the address with DMV.
My question is if I could fight this ticket based on violation of the code VC 40518.
please help!!!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What state?

First of all, if you're not in CA, then asking about VC 40518 is trying irrelevant.

But regardless, you cannot use your failure to update your address with the DMV as an excuse. The DMV is most states (including CA) requires that you notify them within a short time of changing your address, and considers the onus of the responsibility for doing this to be on the holder of the license.

The fault is yours.

justalayman

do you live with your husband? If not, did he receive the ticket and turn you in as the driver?

did the ticket get sent to the address that was on the registration at the time of the incident?

GANA

Hi

Thanks for your reply,

I do live in CA.

what is not clear to me is how can DMV have my updated car registration if I didn't change my address at the time we moved

GANA

I do live with my husband, and no he did not get any notice.

The citation was sent to my driver license address

Last edited:

Silverplum

Thanks for your reply,

I do live in CA.

what is not clear to me is how can DMV have my updated car registration if I didn't change my address at the time we moved
At the end of your arguments, it's your responsibility to change your address everywhere.

justalayman

I do live with my husband, and no he did not get any notice.

The citation was sent to my driver license address

that's quite odd since they would have no means to identify you. That is why a camera ticket is sent to the address of the person on the registration.

there has to be some way they got your name and "legal" address at the time. They don't just pull names out of a hat.

GANA

My question is: if the photo enforcement manager got my name of the car registration, wasn't the citation supposed to be mailed to the address of the registered vehicle

justalayman

My question is: if the photo enforcement manager got my name of the car registration, wasn't the citation supposed to be mailed to the address of the registered vehicle
you said it was registered to your husband. Are you now saying it is registered to you?

GANA

No, that car is registered to my husbands name.
I got a chance to speak to the person who gave me a citation and how he explained is that he went and checked registration and insurance and that's how he got my name. Then went to check my drivers license and compare it to the camera picture and assumed it was me

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I got a chance to speak to the person who gave me a citation and how he explained is that he went and checked registration and insurance and that's how he got my name. Then went to check my drivers license and compare it to the camera picture and assumed it was me
Well, was it?

Because frankly, that sounds very logical. He's got a choice, based on the photo and insurance info of going with either the male or female covered under the policy for that car. Since he is going by you license photo, it is going to the address on file for your license.

Which, by the way, you could have updated online at the DMV.

So no, failure to do your part to update your address is not a defense. If it's someone else (you husband, or some female other than you), then you could argue that. But it's likely not or you would have brought that up by now.

justalayman

makes no sense.

how did he get your name from what you stated?

hey, anybody very familiar with the camera systems in california? do they even have a shot of the drivers face? seems most i have seen don't.

GANA

Why does it bother you? What are you hiding?

Actually not trying to hide anything. Came out here to see if I could get some help with how to go about this. I have never been in any kind of trouble with the law before and am frightened of going to court. If I have received the ticket probably would have paid it no questions asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">