• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Camera ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sungam2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Az

My son got a speeding ticket (75 in a 65 zone) with one of those automated cameras. The picture is of him. The car is in my name and came to me. I got the notice in the mail.

What if I just ignore it? They ask me to identify the driver.

Can I have a warrant issued against me?

Any idea what the fine is?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Ignoring it is not the answer to any type of violation or ticket. That will cause you alot of problems.

Some regulars who post here are familiar with AZ automated speed enforcement, so I'll leave the details to them, as I am unfamiliar with it.

Last edited:

The Occultist

If you got it in just the regular, everyday mail, then this was not a valid serve, which means that, strictly speaking, you don't have to do anything about this. If you do not respond, however, then they may eventually get around to serving the citation properly, meaning you've merely delayed the inevitable.

My advice is to deal with this now in order to avoid problems later. Mail the response back indicating that the person they photoed is not you (make sure to include a photo of yourself as proof). Also note that you are NOT actually required to tell them who the driver is. A simple "I don't know" is all you need to give.

My guess is your son was on the 101, right? If that's the case, then he was driving like a maniac. I typically drive 65mph on the 101, and I'm still the fastest person out there, so if he was driving 75, then he was definitely a danger to himself and those around him. My next set of advice: enroll him in some sort of traffic school so he can be scared straight, and on top of that ground him from driving (not legal advice, but my two cents nonetheless).

sungam2010

My guess is your son was on the 101, right? If that's the case, then he was driving like a maniac. I typically drive 65mph on the 101, and I'm still the fastest person out there, so if he was driving 75, then he was definitely a danger to himself and those around him. My next set of advice: enroll him in some sort of traffic school so he can be scared straight, and on top of that ground him from driving (not legal advice, but my two cents nonetheless).
He was on I-10 westbound going to Buckeye. The road turns to 75 mph just outside of Goodyear and he hit 75 mph a bit too early and got picked up by a mobile speed trap.

Ignore the bad advice above.

Chuck the ticket in the trash. They have to serve you properly. There is a very good chance that will never happen, because the system of serving is overloaded. You have a less than 30% chance of ever getting served according to recent newspaper reports.

There is no downside to this strategy. The worst that can happen is that you get served in the future, and you can take care of it just as easily then.

The Occultist

Ignore the bad advice above.
What was the bad advice?

Chuck the ticket in the trash. They have to serve you properly.
What's kinda what I said, so, again, how is that bad advice?

There is a very good chance that will never happen, because the system of serving is overloaded. You have a less than 30% chance of ever getting served according to recent newspaper reports.
I would ignore this advice, based on personal history AND an "inside" knowledge of how things work in this area.

There is no downside to this strategy.
Sort of.

The worst that can happen is that you get served in the future, and you can take care of it just as easily then.
Since it's going to happen anyways, I say take care of it now. Why waste your time looking over your shoulder?

Sin_Happens

Currently in Arizona if you are notified via a mailing of the photo radar violation it has no validity and should be ignored until you are served by an officer of the court (a process server).

If the photo is not of you, simply mail the ticket back with a clear copy of your driver's license (enlarge it at a Kinko's so your photo is large and clear) and write a letter stating: "I am not the person in the photo, enclosed is my current Driver's License photo, I also do not know who this person is". You are done with the ticket, if notified again, perform the same process.

If the photo is of you and you are wishing to avoid it, simply throw the ticket away until they attempt to serve you, if you are trying to "dodge" a server simply do not answer your door or tell them the intended person needing to be served is "not home and unknown when they will be, also they are responsible for their own documents and I will not accept it for them". The process server cannot leave it with someone who is unwilling or not of a reasonable age who refuses. If they ask for "John Doe" and you say "That's me" they will serve you and notify the courts that the defendant has been offically notified.

Currently Arizona has a large backlogged database of tickets that are not being served because people are avoiding them or just not handling them and the courts cannot keep up, hence why they send scary/threatening letters to provoke people into paying the ticket. These are empty threats until the courts have you officially served.

Do not be afraid of a process server, you will know they are coming because you received notices in the mail well in advance. You simply need to answer the door and tell them "they are not here right now" and "Sorry but they need to sign and accept their own mail and packages". Be advised however that certain municipalities are taking alternative measures to "serve" you. The City of Scottsdale is trying "alternative service" where after 3 well documented processor attempts, the court then asks a judge to sign off on the process server just being able to leave the ticket on your door saying "alternative service serving" and this currently is acceptable per Scottsdale court standards.

The only area that is not clarified currently in the 120 day process that many talk about is when does the 120 day period begin and end.. Does it begin the date of the violation or does it begin the date the court sets for a hearing? While AZ does a "year" to serve you, most courts dismiss the tickets after the 120 days pass for the fact that it has been 4 months with no luck. Now those who are constant offenders of the system will probably be given extra attention (the monkey mask man as an example) since they are people who have a multitude of outstanding fees that state would like to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">