• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone help me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexander6706

Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting to USA soon. I already have my international driver's license. But I am not aware of traffic rules in USA. Does any one know from where I can get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car etc? If you people have some ideas, please help me.
But be true to your word, as I don’t want it to be “blind leading the blind”

Thanks for your time.

TinkerBelleLuvr

you can 'google' for the state(s) that you are visiting and 'DMV' Department of Motor Vehicle to find out the rules for the particular states.

With traffic lights - green means go and red means stop; yellow is the caution light to stop.

There are red octogonal signs with 'STOP' that means stop.

There are signs on the road that specify speeds. As for road that don't state it, you much check for the states particular laws.

Just Blue

Hey Guys,

I'll be visiting to USA soon. I already have my international driver's license. But I am not aware of traffic rules in USA. Does any one know from where I can get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car etc? If you people have some ideas, please help me.

Thanks for your time.
Call the Department of Motor Vehicles for the state you are visiting and request a drivers manual. Be aware if you violate the driving laws here, ignorance of those laws is NOT a defense.

HomeGuru

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your time.
**A: your international driver's license is not legal in numerous states.

FlyingRon

**A: your international driver's license is not legal in numerous states.
By itself it's not legal in *ANY* state. The determination as to the legality of driving in this country is based on your actual FOREIGN license (assuming it is valid) depending on what country it was issued in.

I don't know what HG is talking about, but if you come from a country that is a signatory on one of the two reciprocity treaties (UN and Inter-American), you can drive for up to a year on your foreign permit. It is not at the discretion of the states to deny this.

The International Drivers License is not a strict requirement in most cases, but it makes things easier as it provides an English translation of the terms of your foreign license.

david56753

Hi,

First of all, welcome to US, the country that is always on the move. It is good that you have an international driving license. Here we drive on the left side of the road. Do some webs search on traffic rules and signs so that you can be familiar with the rules of the road. If you want to get information regarding traffic lights, speed limit of car, speed cameras and the most important thing, which we all fear i.e. hidden cops who can catch you any where and that too red handed, have a look at http://www.trapster.com/rl/Trapster.php.It really gets you going on the roads with a confidence.
Wish u a safe driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">