• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can cop clock you in one city but give ticket for other city?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bucklahoo

What is the name of your state?
ohio

can a cop clock you over the speed limit in one city while he's sitting in another city and give the ticket for that city?

Bigfoot

Which law enforcement agency does the 'cop' represent: police, sheriff, state bureau of investigation, Division of Motor Vehicles, highway patrol...?

B

bucklahoo

it was a city or municipal policeman employed by the city.

abezon

If the officers of the 2 cities are cross-deputized for traffic enforcement, yes. Was the ticket for the city you were speeding in or the city he was parked in?

B

bucklahoo

the ticket was for the city he was parked in, but i was clearly across city limits when i was radared.

L

loocpoc

Generally speaking if you are cited for a state statute then yes the local police officer can issue the ticket in another jurisidiction without there being deputization. Deputization generlly happens for things other than traffic, such as narcotics and such.

Bravo8

I think you guys misunderstand.

If I read it correctly, he was actually clocked in City A, by cop from City B. Cop from City B issued citation for speeding IN CITY B.

dequeendistress

boy I was confused I thought he was sitting in one city clocked you from the other city and then drove to the city you were in and gave you a ticket....Heck of a radar...

Question is were you speeding? Are you guilty in other words. Or did you finally stop when you thought the officer had left his jurisdiction after a high speed pursuit? (was the officer pursuing you or did he see you two hours later while on patrol?)

I do not think this matter of the jurisdiction of the officer is going to get you out of your ticket, sorry.

Last edited:

abezon

If you're charged with violating a state traffic law, I doubt it matters what location the cop wrote on the ticket. If you're charged with violating a city code, then where you were when the cop clocked you is material. City A cannot enforce its laws inside the limits of City B. Does the ticket indicate that you were clocked in City B? Or were you driving from A to B & the cop just stopped you in B? You may need to bring maps showing exactly where the city division is. Or, if the ticket is clear, you may be able to get it dismissed on its face. Be sure to ask for dismissal with prejudice so the cop can't refile.

S

sdstrooper

My understanding with municipal police is that they can issue tickets for offenses that occur out of the city limits, but it must be within a reasonable distance from the city limits. Otherwise, they can still stop you, but should notify the department with juresdiction (either city, county, or state) to come issue the ticket on their behalf with the original officer as a witness.

B

BillyBG

"If you're charged with violating a state traffic law, I doubt it matters what location the cop wrote on the ticket. If you're charged with violating a city code, then where you were when the cop clocked you is material."

Exactly.

abezon

sdstrooper said:
My understanding with municipal police is that they can issue tickets for offenses that occur out of the city limits, but it must be within a reasonable distance from the city limits. Otherwise, they can still stop you, but should notify the department with juresdiction (either city, county, or state) to come issue the ticket on their behalf with the original officer as a witness.
Yes. However, I think we're talking about two different powers: the city cop's power to write a ticket for violation of a state or county law (can extend beyond city limits with proper "deputizing") and the city's jurisdiction to enforce its laws (stops at the city limits and not one inch further).

Consider a house with a garage inside the city limits & the house outside the limits. The garage must comply with the city's building & zoning codes, but the county's building & zoning codes apply to the house. Such fun.

Bravo8

Are any of these responses actually specific to Ohio, where the OP is located?

What many are suggesting is that an officer from "ABC City" can write a speeding ticket in "XYZ City" which is 100 miles away in the same state.

Doesn't seem logical to me.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">