• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Florida State do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dutchgirl1963

Florida(Lake County).
I lived in Florida, with a Florida CDL drivers license from March 2008 until December 2010.
Then I moved to Arizona, where I lived from January 2011 until March 2016 with an Arizona CDL drivers license (I turned my Florida license in to the DMV in Goodyear, Arizona).
During this time, I received a ticket for turning left on a NO left turn sign. I paid the ticket in 2013, because you can't take classes with a CDL license, so I was totally done with that ticket for 3 years now.
No points, no nothing, and no tickets for the past 3 years.

Today I received a letter in the mail from Florida State and Highway Safety...stating that because of failure to take classes, my drivers license will be suspended indefinitely starting July 1st, 2016.
I have only had 3 tickets total in my life time and I'm 52 years old.
I immediately went back to the DMV in Leesburg, Florida today.
They told me that the State of Florida has added 4 points to my license AND the requirement to take classes for a ticket that I have paid already, was issued in Arizona, while I held an Arizona drivers license, and was totally done with.

They require me to take classes, but they still won't take the points off.
Can they do this?
Make me pay for something I paid for 3 years ago in another state, and Florida had nothing to do with, and add points to my Florida license, while this happened out of state while I was holding that state's license and not a Florida license?
Thank you very much.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter where your physical license was issued - you have a "driving privilege" in each state that falls under the jurisdiction of that particular state. A state can impose its own rules on a driver.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">