• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i Contest This?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bflynn65

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

I was drving home from work in the right lane of the freeway. when i noticed a police car following me. I started slowing down, and maintained a reasonable speed, but he stayed behind me. I started to get annoyed and finally switched into the middle lane. The Police car did the same but then passed me and went into the left lane. I was suspicious that the officer was trying to bait me to do something to cite me for so i decided to switch into the left lane and drive behind him thinking that was the best way to avoid him. I drove behind him for another mile or so before i realized that he had gradually sped up to around 15 miles over the speed limit and I in turn had been keeping pace with him and doing the same. I started to slow down, but he switched back to the middle lane slowed to get behind me and then pulled me over and issued me a speeding ticket.

My questions are:

1. Is this even legal for him to do?
2. Since i was behind him could he have accurately clocked my speed?

racer72

1. Sure is. Your what some officers call a lollypop.

2. Pacing is a common method for determining speed. And most police vehicles have calibrated speedometers too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">