• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i drive in texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SONBON3000

So I have recently arrived in the US on the Visa Waiver Program from UK, it was all very last minute and it seems I had been given the wrong information.

I hold a provisional UK license and a full pakistani license [not international]. I was told by a lady at the driving centre here that I may not need an IDP as the main purpose of it is to translate the original license, but since both my licenses are in english, it shouldn't be a problem.

I was still a bit wary and after countless failed attempts to contact DPS, i decided to call the police. They had no idea and also agreed it would make sense that I would not need IDP but since they were not sure, I was told to try DPS again.
It has been over a week now and it seems no one from DPS ever chooses to answer the phone!

SO.... question is, can I drive or can I not drive here, because right now I feel sort of disabled without a car. I can't apply for a US license as I am only in the country for 3 months so you can see my dilemma.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The issue is NOT an IDP. As you were told this is simply a translation of your foreign license. If your license is written in English there is no issue. An IDP is not a legal form of identification, it simply accompanies your license so it can be read.

The issue for you is WHY are you in this country? Will you be working? Going to school? Many states require that once you establish residency there (could be as little as 30 days) you must be licensed by that state.

If someone is here on vacation for a few weeks that is clear cut. In your case it might not be.

HighwayMan

Looks like you're in the clear. This information is not guaranteed but it looks pretty legit. Call to be certain:

If you're visiting Texas, between the ages of 18-75, and are a currently licensed driver from a country that has a reciprocity agreement with the United States, you may drive for up to one year in the state. Contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at (512) 424-2600 for more information.

Be sure to always have your license with you whenever you're driving.

Obtaining an International Driver Permit is a smart move. The permit, issued by your home country, basically translates your license to make it understandable to U.S. officials. Also, many rental car agencies require it in addition to your regular driver's license.

Should you become a resident of the Lone Star State, you'll need to apply for a Texas license within 90 days of your residency to maintain your driving privileges. The DPS provides a list of the documentation you'll need to take to the driver's license office. Also make note that the types of documentation needed depends on your current status and type of visa―call the DPS to be sure.

A UK provisional license is equivalent to a learner's permit in the USA. It is basically the same as having no license.

If you are in a rental car I expect most Texas police officers will accept a full Pakistan license.

I would check your insurance is valid though.

Maestro64

First the police can not provide legal advise and that is what you asking the police to do in this case.

Second, if you have a valid drivers license from another country you are allow to drive in the US. as anywhere you have to understand the laws and rules where you are driving.

Also, being a resident is not required, the definition of a resident is where you declare your permanent address, in the US it is the place you pay taxes, you can live in any number of places as you like and stay there are long as you like as long as you can show you actually have a permanent resident somewhere.

As it was pointed out some police think because you live somewhere for a period of time or they see you on their roads all the time you're required to be a resident of that place, which is not true. If you are working in the US for a period of time and you are driving and for some reason you are stopped, and you are asked where you live you tell them it where your license states and if they ask why you are here you tell them you are on a work assignment from you company.

Residence means you plan to stay, make it official and pay taxes based on that address.

FlyingRon

Texas won't even issue you a license in your circumstances. On the VWP, you only get 90 days and they require your status to extend for at least six months from the time you apply.

Frankly, as pointed out, you have no valid UK license and you have no license that allows you unrestricted driving in the US. If you came on a Visa Waiver, you didn't come from Pakistan, and Texas requires your license to be valid in your HOME COUNTRY, which they will presume to be the one on your passport.

HighwayMan

Second, if you have a valid drivers license from another country you are allow to drive in the US.
You can't make a blanket statement like that. It is not always true.

If you are working in the US for a period of time and you are driving and for some reason you are stopped, and you are asked where you live you tell them it where your license states and if they ask why you are here you tell them you are on a work assignment from you company.
A work assignment does not eliminate the need to obtain a local driver's license. Neither does school.

Residence means you plan to stay, make it official and pay taxes based on that address.
That's ridiculous. You don't have to "plan to stay". Residing in a state for a period of time makes you a resident in many cases. Doesn't matter what your intent is.

Maestro64

Highwayman.

First I work with people from all over the world and they drive in the US all the time with their home countries license. Even though I have chosen to never drive outside the US I have the ability to drive in other countries base on my US license so yes it is allowed.

Second, because recent law changes no one in the US is allow to have two licenses, if you attempt to get a license in another state you are required to forfeit your other license. In the past it was not unusually for people to have license in more than one state. At one time I had two licenses and maintained both. Also there are plenty of people who own second homes in other states and live there for part of the year however, they only have a license from what they consider their home state.

Go look at the law on residence, the federal government and state clearly state that is where your declare your home state for taxes purposes. Also states will say if you are a student or military you are not required to be a resident or have a state license.

I'll give you states may try to make you get a license in their state and take up residency, but they can not force you as long as you can show you maintain permanent residence elsewhere. Just because someone is spending time in one particular place does not mean they have to give up their other valid license. State want to make you think this since it about tax revenue, they want you paying taxes to them not another state.

BTW this is the what you are thinking, ftom your home state which you did not read. Most all states have similar language grant NY is the first time I saw the presumed evidence statement.

NYS DMV - Definition of a NYS Resident

Yeah an officer may choose to issue a ticket because he thinks, and this is what most officer do, however, it is not valid, just another way to harass and profile the public.

davew128

Highwayman.

First I work with people from all over the world and they drive in the US all the time with their home countries license. Even though I have chosen to never drive outside the US I have the ability to drive in other countries base on my US license so yes it is allowed.

Second, because recent law changes no one in the US is allow to have two licenses, if you attempt to get a license in another state you are required to forfeit your other license. In the past it was not unusually for people to have license in more than one state. At one time I had two licenses and maintained both. Also there are plenty of people who own second homes in other states and live there for part of the year however, they only have a license from what they consider their home state.

Go look at the law on residence, the federal government and state clearly state that is where your declare your home state for taxes purposes. Also states will say if you are a student or military you are not required to be a resident or have a state license.

I'll give you states may try to make you get a license in their state and take up residency, but they can not force you as long as you can show you maintain permanent residence elsewhere. Just because someone is spending time in one particular place does not mean they have to give up their other valid license. State want to make you think this since it about tax revenue, they want you paying taxes to them not another state.

BTW this is the what you are thinking, ftom your home state which you did not read. Most all states have similar language grant NY is the first time I saw the presumed evidence statement.

NYS DMV - Definition of a NYS Resident

Yeah an officer may choose to issue a ticket because he thinks, and this is what most officer do, however, it is not valid, just another way to harass and profile the public.
First off, residency is what the law says it is based the facts and circumstances, not what the individual says. Secondly, the laws for residency for purposes of paying taxes and driver's licenses are NOT the same EVEN IN THE SAME STATE. Residency for tax purposes varies from state to state and does does residency for license purposes. Your comment about the federal and state governments and where you declare your residency is 100% BS. For tax purposes it is ABSOLUTELY possible to be considered a full year resident of MORE THAN ONE STATE AT THE SAME TIME due to differing state laws on tax residency.

It is ALSO BS that you have to forfeit a license in one state when you get one in another. Ex: I am a Mass resident and take a temporary 6 month work assignment in California. California laws regarding residency for driver's licensing require me to get a CA license within 30 days of arriving even if its a temporary stay. I guarantee you that the CA DMV will try and punch a hole in my MA license (don't let them) but even if they do you can still get a valid replacement license from MA. That said, the TAX laws will say you are still a MA resident and a CA non-resident. Change the states and you might get different answers.

Bottom line, your blanket answer was not only INCORRECT, it was irresponsible to represent it as correct.

FlyingRon

If you two are through arguing, regardless of what definition of residency you want to use, TEXAS will NOT issue this guy a license. As I stated earlier, they will do so only if he has status that will not expire for at least six months from when he applies. Coming here on the Visa Waiver Program gives him at most 90 days. Texas will not consider him to be anything other than a visitor (or an illegal immigrant).

To get reciprocity, he must have a valid license from his home country. This isn't Pakistan, it's the UK. He has no license from the UK, he can not drive in Texas.

Proserpina

That's ridiculous. You don't have to "plan to stay". Residing in a state for a period of time makes you a resident in many cases. Doesn't matter what your intent is.
Not for immigration purposes it doesn't - and that appears to be the key here. Intent can mean EVERYTHING.

If you two are through arguing, regardless of what definition of residency you want to use, TEXAS will NOT issue this guy a license. As I stated earlier, they will do so only if he has status that will not expire for at least six months from when he applies. Coming here on the Visa Waiver Program gives him at most 90 days. Texas will not consider him to be anything other than a visitor (or an illegal immigrant).

To get reciprocity, he must have a valid license from his home country. This isn't Pakistan, it's the UK. He has no license from the UK, he can not drive in Texas.

Dead right, Ron :)

OHRoadwarrior

You can have dual residency status. I have been licensed in my home state, where my house is, while paying taxes at my apartment, in various states I am working in.

davew128

He's a visitor.

He's NOT a resident - legally.
LEGALLY, he very well MAY be a resident based on the laws of the state in question. A temporary visitor is considered a resident in many states for many purposes, this includes immigrant workers on visas and out of state students.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">